AICE English General Paper 1 (FRESHMEN) Summer Reading Projects
Students will complete TWO projects- They will read one book (from the list provided) and complete a worksheet/project on literary devices. Then students will create a presentation on an important issue/problem that is happening in the world while giving possible solutions. BOTH of these projects will be turned into your AICE English General Paper teacher. Due: August 26th, 2022- Hard copies will be turned in to your teacher, digital work will be turned in through Canvas. DO NOT email work to teachers.
Choose and read ONE book-
- Dry – Jarrod Shusterman
- Turtles All The Way Down – John Green
- The Book Thief – Markus Zusak
- I am Malala – Malala Yousafzai and Patricia McCormick
- 1984 – George Orwell
- The Pearl – John Steinbeck
- The Hobbit – J.R.R. Tolkien
- Night – Elie Wiesel
Part 2: Type a ONE PAGE summary (MLA format) of your chosen book and complete ONE of the activities below (complete either activity a OR activity b).
- Complete the Literary Devices worksheet (attached here)
- Create an art project (video, collage, poem, picture, etc.) that showcase what you’ve learned from the book. You MUST incorporate the theme/s, symbols, characters, conflict/s, climax (turning point of the book), setting, and foreshadowing/flashbacks. Please provide a ½ page written explanation as to how all elements were incorporated and why you chose to depict them in the way in which you did.
Issues/Problems Around the World
Please choose an issue that the world is currently facing (if you cannot come up with an issue, there is a list provided that you can choose from, but it is not required to do a listed issue). Create a presentation using either PowerPoint, Prezi, a poster board, etc., that incorporates the following listed below:
- What the issue is (name of the issue/problem, defining/explaining what the issue/problem is)
- When and how it started
- Who the issue is affecting and how it’s affecting those involved
- Why it is an issue/problem and what is happening because of it
- 2-3 possible solutions explained (what is a potential solution- how would the solution work, what would it take in order to make it work, why is it a good option?)
Please do not forget to include a work cited page.
-Current issues: -Human Rights and Access to Justice
-Marine Conservation -Global Public Health -Wildlife Conservation
-Climate Crisis and Clean Energy - Social Economic Development
- Food Security -Gender Equality -Water Scarcity -Mental Health –Overpopulation
If you have questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to Ashton.Sieczko@marion.k12.fl.us
Put this header (example below) in the top left corner of your paper, all stacked on top of each other as shown.
The whole paper should be double spaced.
Font: Times New Roman in size 12
EGP (English General Paper)