This unit will be covering the local government- the structure and functions of the local government, obligations and services, and the lawmaking process.
We will be covering three Florida State Standards this unit. They have been broken down into smaller categories and clarifications that we will be studying:
- SS.7.C.3.8: Analyze the structure, functions, and processes of the legislative, executive, and judicial branches (local government)/SS.7.C.3.9: Illustrate the law making process at the local, state, and federal levels (local government).
- Students will identify examples of laws at the local level (ordinances).
- Students will explain the lawmaking process at the local level.
- Students will identify leadership titles and roles of the local government.
- Students will identify local lawmakers.
- Students will examine the processes of the legislative (e.g., how a bill becomes a law, appointment confirmation, committee selection), executive (e.g., executive order, veto, appointments), and judicial (e.g., judicial review, court order, writ of certiorari, summary judgment) branches of government.
- Students will compare local, state, and federal lawmakers (city/county commissioners/council members; state legislators [representatives and senators]; and U.S. congressmen/congresswomen [representatives and senators]).
- Students will distinguish among ordinances, statutes, and acts on the local, state, and federal levels.
- Students will compare and contrast the lawmaking process at the local, state, and federal levels.
- SS.7.C.3.14: Differentiate between local, state, and federal governments' obligations and services.
- Students will evaluate scenarios in order to determine which level of government provides specific services.
- Students will classify government services according to level of government in order to evaluate the role that each plays in their lives.
- Students will compare the obligations/powers of governments at each level.
- Students will compare the reserved, concurrent and expressed/enumerated powers of government.
Unit Essential Question: How does local government coordinate with federal and state governments to fulfill its obligations to the citizens?
Lesson Essential Questions:
- What are the processes of the three branches?
- How are laws made at each level of government?
- What are the differences between local, state, and federal government obligations and services?
- Why do we have these differences in our form of government?