Class Syllabus/Course Outline
First Grade Syllabus/Course Outline
In Reading: Your child will also learn to:
- Recognize coins and count money
- Solve simple mathematical word problems
- Recognize shapes and know how many sides they have
- Count, read, and write whole numbers exceeding 100
- Understand basic place value
- Count and group objects in ones and tens
- Identify one more than, one less than, 10 more than, 10 less than a given number, and learn to use the symbols <, >, and =
- Compare the length, weight, and volume of two or more objects
Like math, science in the first grade focuses on finding patterns. However, the patterns explored are in the natural world.The three units of science study covered are:
Your child will spend time learning about plants, insects, and their common characteristics and may even follow the life cycle of a butterfly. They will learn about the external features and environments that help plants and animals thrive.
- Life sciences (plants and animals)
- Earth sciences (e.g. air and weather)
- Physical sciences (e.g. solids and liquids)
Expect your child to begin exploring the concept of community beyond just your family. They'll learn about how neighborhoods make up cities, cities make up states, and states make up nations, with a focus on how all of those components work together to create a cohesive unit.
Your child's fine motor skills have improved a great deal since kindergarten, providing the control needed to really begin writing. In the first grade, expect your child to begin formal work on handwriting skills in addition to creative writing tasks.
We will focus on inventive spelling, allowing children to write the sounds they hear in words, while also instructing students using weekly spelling words. Your first grader will learn how to use punctuation and capitals, but, more importantly, they will start to use writing as a tool for communication.
Schedule for Mrs. Ford's First Grade Class:
7:35-7:50- Unpack, Morning Work, School News
7:50-8:30- CKLA Knowldege
9:20-10:30- ELA CKLA Skills /Centers
10:30-11:30- Math/Math Centers
1:15-2:00 Science (M,W,F) SS (T&Th)