Instructor: Mr. Lipari
Contact Information: email@example.com
Reading is not only important; it is necessary. Reading is a tool that enables us to change our world and change ourselves. In my class, you will learn how to use reading as a tool to help you become the person you want to be. Our mantra for this year is, “Never underestimate the power of YOU.” As your teacher, I am going to provide you with information, advice, and techniques, but then the ball is in your court: you have the power to decide what to do with those things. I cannot wait to see what you decide to do with all that power!
- #2 pencils (wooden #2 pencils needed for the ACT practice tests)
- Notebook paper
- 1 spiral notebook (for ACT vocabulary and practice)
- 2 Duo-tang folders with pockets and prongs(1 is provided to you already)
- Highlighters (any color other than yellow)
- 10% Homework: Miscellaneous assignments
- 45% Classwork / Quizzes: Group rotations and work within these groups (daily), bell work, Teengagement activities, ChalkTalk assignments
- 45% Tests/Projects: Assessments (ACT/SAT Prep work), short responses
Monday – Wednesday
- 5 minutes for Bell Work (usually we are getting into our class rotations following our timed reading)
- 25-30 Group Rotations: Computers - Teengagement/ChalkTalk and Small Group - Direct Instruction
Thursday – Friday
- 5 minutes- Timed Reading
- 40 minutes- ACT Practice Test/Strategies/Grading
- 45 minutes Group Rotations/ChalkTalk
- Shared reading: The last 10 minutes of class we will read a book together. You will have your own copy and follow along as I read aloud to you.
Small Group will focus on vocabulary exercises, grammar practice, and reading standards. We will be reading high interest passages that will help you get where you need to be in reading so you can meet the reading requirement for graduation.
Students will consistently meet the WPHS expectations:
- Be on time(PROMPT)
- Bring all required materials to class(PREPARED)
- Put forth effort to attempt and complete all assignments(PRODUCTIVE)
- Listen, follow directions, treat others with respect and cooperate(POLITE)
- Students will complete all homework by the next class period.
- Assignments are due on the announced date.
- Make sure you are reading each and every day.
- Khan Academy is another program you will work on during this class. It is a great program to build your grammar in order to meet your reading requirement on both the ACT and the SAT.
- Khan Academy is a College Board website used to prepare you for the SAT, as well as the ACT and the FSA. You will work on grammar and master the skills needed to excel on these exams. This will be another weekly grade.
- Cheating or plagiarizing is against the school code of conduct. If you allow others to copy your work or do work for you, then you are cheating. You will NOT receive any credit if cheating occurs and Guidance will follow up with disciplinary measures.
Make-Up work Procedures:
Students will have two days after returning to class to stop by my classroom during ALPHA Time and receive their make-up work. It is YOUR responsibility to see if you have missed any work. I am free during the entire ALPHA Time period. You can also access my teacher website or email me during your absence.
Students will test for concept mastery at the end of each reading assignment and learning unit.
Khanacademy.org is free and a great way to work on grammar strategies. Make an account if you do not already have one, go to SAT Test Prep, click on Reading/Writing, scroll down below the Reading practice and you will see tons of grammar practice. These are quick practice questions to see what you know and what you need to review. Working on this for twenty minutes or more each day will help you earn that score of 430 (reading and grammar combined score) or an 18 composite score (reading and grammar combined score) on the ACT.
Concordant Score Needed:
ACT: Earning a score of 19 or higher on the reading section only; however, you must sit for all four sections of the test.
****New to ACT concordant score: 18 composite score of English and Reading will meet the reading requirement for graduation.
SAT: Earning a 430 on the reading and writing/grammar combined score OR a 24 on just the reading section.
If you have any questions or need help, please stop by and see me in building 8 room 002.