Welcome to Mrs. Reaves' Biology class!
Please check back daily for updates, assignments, and more.
1st - Biology
3rd - Biology Honors
5th - Biology
2nd - Biology Honors
4th - Biology
6th - Biology Honors
Mrs. Reaves' Biology Syllabus
Biology is the scientific study of life and is an extraordinarily broad and diverse field. This is a highly rigorous class that requires a large volume of content and implementation of scientific argumentation. This course will cover biological vocabulary, theories, and concepts. Course work involves vocabulary building, note taking, practice worksheets, homework, quizzes, lab work, QSMAs, and Unit Tests.
Unit 1 – Nature of Science – Ch 1
Unit 2 – Ecology - Ch 13, 14, 15, 16
Unit 3 – Classification and Taxonomy – Ch 17
Unit 4 – Macromolecules/Properties of Water – Ch 2
Unit 5 – Cell Structure, Function/Immune System – Ch 3, 5, 31
Unit 6 – Plant Structure/Cellular Energy – Ch 21, 22, 4
Unit 7 – Genetics and Meiosis – Ch 6, 7
Unit 8 – Human Reproductive System – Ch 34
Unit 9 – Molecular Genetics – Ch 8, 9
Unit 10 - Evolution/Brain/Cardiovascular System – Ch 10, 11, 12, 29, 30
2018- 2019 Materials Required:
- Covered Textbook: Biology (Holt McDougal) - provided in class
- Composition Notebook (a dedicated notebook for this class) (example)
- Honors ONLY: duotang folder with prongs for science fair work (example)
- Highlighters and Pencils
- Colored pencils
- Glue stick
The student’s grade will be determined by the following types of work: tests, quizzes, classwork, labs, projects and an interactive science notebook.
Tests, Projects, Labs, Science Fair (Honors) 50%
Quizzes, Notebook, Classwork 40%
End Of Course Exam:
The EOC exam will be given in May. This exam will account for 30% of your total grade!!! Everything we do throughout the year is meant to prepare you for this exam. Keep up with your notebook, notes, and lessons to create the ultimate study guide for yourself.
Honors Biology- SCIENCE FAIR:
Biology Honors students are required to conduct their own science fair project as part of the course. Each component of the project will be graded separately and count as test grades. A timeline of all due dates and rubrics will be available under the "Biology Honors" tab as needed. Students are responsible to keep up with the project and turn in components ON OR BEFORE THE DUE DATE! Anything turned in after the due date will earn a zero. Students also have the option of participating in the regional science fair where they can show off their project. We will discuss all of this at length in class. Again, the science fair project is mandatory!
Contacting Mrs. Reaves:
Have a question or need help? Ask and you shall receive! I am available before and after school, from 8:00-8:30 and 3:00-3:30. I am also available during CAT Period if you receive a pass from me ahead of time. You MUST schedule before- or after-school help with me ahead of time, in case I happen to be unavailable that day due to meetings, conferences, etc. Sign up for Remind. Email is also super effective! I check it before and after school. Be sure to check the class website to check for power points, assignments, due dates or other important items.
Classroom Rules and Expectations:
- Follow directions first time given. Ask for clarification if needed.
- Be courteous and respectful at all times.
- Be on time and ready to work when the bell rings.
- Be prepared with all necessary materials.
- Raise your hand for recognition. Do not get out of your seat while I’m talking.
- Do not ask to go to the restroom during a lesson or video.
- Turn all work in on time. NO EXCUSES!
- Maintain a neat and accurate science notebook.
- Safety first! ABSOLUTELY NO HORSEPLAY IS ALLOWED.
- No food, drinks, gum or grooming in the classroom. Water bottles with lids are okay.
- Follow all FHS and Classroom Policies and Procedures.
Classroom Policies and Procedures:
- Positive, responsible and safe participation is expected of all students.
- Be considerate and respectful of your instructor, classmates and learning environment.
- Classroom disruption will result in disciplinary action.
- Plagiarism and cheating will result in serious disciplinary or corrective action.
- Include your name, period, date, and assignment title on all work. No name, no grade!
- Hall passes will be given according to FHS policy. Please ask for permission, take the pass, and sign out and in by the door. Please do not abuse this policy.
- The teacher dismisses the class. Remain in your seat and do not pack up until the dismissal bell rings. Do not wait by the door for the bell to ring.
- Be respectful and cooperative with substitutes.
- When all announcements come on, STOP what you are doing and listen quietly.
- Stay with the class during fire or bomb drills and in the auditorium during presentations.
Cell Phones and Electronic Devices Policy:
You may not have any electronic devices out in the classroom without permission. I encourage students to take pictures of the boards, however you must ask before doing so. Anyone with their phone out will be given one warning. If it is not put away, the student will be written up and will have to take their phone to discipline and return to class without it.
Class Work/Makeup Work Policy:
- Do all work independently unless otherwise assigned.
- Classwork is due by the end of the period in which it was assigned unless otherwise stated.
- IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to find out what you missed during absence(s), and to follow up on make-up work according to FHS policy. You have 2 days per absence (up to 6 days total) to make up work and tests that are assigned while absent, not if the work or test is assigned prior to the absence.
- Unless you have an excused absence, late work is unacceptable – a zero will be issued.
- Make up work/notes can be found on the web site, in the class planner, or by asking the teacher.
- Do all makeup work at home or in CAT, not during class.
- Arrange a time to make up tests with me as soon as you return. These can be taken during CAT period or before / after school.
All homework assigned is designed to help guide your studying and help reinforce content learned in class. You should look over your notes after school everyday. Students who expect to succeed should STUDY. All students should be reviewing what we covered each day using their textbooks and notebooks.
Unit Extra Credit:
Classroom Supplies Needed:
All classroom supplies extra credit will be placed in the HW category.
Max 25 points each quarter!!!
Items on this list are worth 5 points each:
Ream of white or color copy paper (worth 10 points)
4 Pack of Play-Doh
Handheld Pencil Sharpener
Loose Leaf paper
Construction Paper (any size paper)
Ziploc Sandwich bags
Dry Erase Markers
Pack of Pens (Black, Blue, or Red ink)
Remind App Codes
Text your class code to 81010
Period 1 - @reavesbio1
Period 2 - @reavesbio2
Period 3 - @reavesbio3
Period 4 - @reavesbio4
Period 5 - @reavesbio5
Period 6 - @reavesbio6
Remind allows me to send out reminders to the class and you have a direct line to communicate with me. Have a question while studying out of the classroom? Ask away! As long as my phone is on me, I can answer.
There are no upcoming events to display.