ATTENTION PARENTS AND STUDENTS:
Over the next few weeks leading up to the EOC, biology students have the chance to attend study seesions during CAT. Biology is a state tested subject and the exam accounts for 30% of the overall grade in the course. Our team of biology teachers at FHS have used data from students' first and second quarter QSMA exams to pinpoint areas in which students struggled the most. These weaker areas will be the content focus of the review sessions. The goal is to raise scores in these areas of deficiency and help students pass.
Students will have an opportunity to see and hear other biology teachers cover content in which they are an expert in teaching. Mrs. Reaves' students will be offered extra credit for each session that they attend. Do not miss this wonderful opportunity! Go Wildcats!!!
2/26 - Mitosis, Asexual Reproduction, Cancer
2/27 - Nature of Science, Experimental Design
3/8 - Macromolecules
3/9 - Properties of Water
3/19 - Aerobic Vs. Anaerobic, Photosynthesis Vs. Cellular Respiration
3/20 - Enzymes
3/30 - Plant Vs. Animal Cell, Passive Vs. Active Transport
The EOC is sooner than you think!
Welcome to Mrs. Reaves' Biology class!
Please check back often for updates, assignments, and more.
Period 1 - Biology 1
Period 3 - Biology 1 Honors
Period 5 - Biology 1
Period 2 - Biology 1 Honors
Period 4 - Biology 1
Period 6 - Biology 1 Honors
Biology is the scientific study of life and is an extraordinarily broad and diverse field. This is a highly rigorous class that requires a large volume of content and implementation of scientific argumentation. This course will cover biological vocabulary, theories, and concepts. Course work involves vocabulary building, note taking, practice worksheets, homework, quizzes, lab work, write ups, FCA’s, and Chapter and Unit Tests.
Unit 1 – Nature of Science – Ch 1
Unit 2 – Macromolecules/Properties of Water – Ch 2
Unit 3 – Cell Structure, Function/Immune System – Ch 3, 5, 31
Unit 4 – Plant Structure/Cellular Energy – Ch 21, 22, 4
Unit 5 – Reproductive System – Ch 34
Unit 6 – Genetics and Meiosis – Ch 6, 7
Unit 7 – Molecular Genetics – Ch 8, 9
Unit 8 – Evolution/Brain – Ch 10, 11, 12, 29
Unit 9 – Classification and Taxonomy – Ch 17
Unit 10 - Ecology/Cardiovascular System - Ch 13, 14, 15, 16, 30
- Covered Textbook: Biology (Holt McDougal) - in class or online portal
- 3-ring binder (1") with notebook paper (a dedicated binder for this class)
- Spiral Notebook (This will be your daily science journal.)
- Colored pencils
- Highlighters and Pencils
- Dry erase markers (One or two works. Not mandatory but highly recommended.)
The student’s grade will be determined by the following types of work: tests, quizzes, classwork, labs, projects and an interactive science notebook.
Tests, Projects, Labs 50%
Quizzes, Notebook, Classwork 40%
End Of Course Exam:
The EOC exam will be given in May. This exam will account for 30% of your total grade!!! Everything we do throughout the year is meant to prepare you for this exam. Keep up with your notebook, notes, and lessons to create the ultimate study guide for yourself.
Honors Biology- SCIENCE FAIR:
Biology Honors students are required to conduct their own science fair project as part of the course. Each component of the project will be graded separately and count as test grades. A timeline of all due dates and rubrics will be available under the "Biology Honors" tab as needed. Students are responsible to keep up with the project and turn in components ON OR BEFORE THE DUE DATE! Anything turned in after the due date will earn a zero. Students also have the option of participating in the regional science fair where they can show off their project. We will discuss all of this at length in class. Again, the science fair project is mandatory!
Contacting Mrs. Reaves:
Have a question or need help? Ask and you shall receive! I am available before and after school, from 8:00-8:30 and 3:00-3:30. I am also available during CAT Period if you receive a pass from me ahead of time. You MUST schedule before- or after-school help with me ahead of time, in case I happen to be unavailable that day due to meetings, conferences, etc. Sign up for Remind. Email is also super effective! I check it before and after school. Be sure to check the class website to check for power points, assignments, due dates or other important items.
Classroom Rules and Expectations:
- Follow directions first time given. Ask for clarification if needed.
- Be courteous and respectful at all times.
- Be on time and ready to work when the bell rings.
- Be prepared with all necessary materials.
- Raise your hand for recognition. Do not get out of your seat while I’m talking.
- Do not ask to go to the restroom during a lesson or video.
- Turn all work in on time. NO EXCUSES!
- Maintain a neat and accurate science binder.
- Safety first! ABSOLUTELY NO HORSEPLAY IS ALLOWED.
- No food, drinks, gum or grooming in the classroom. Water bottles with lids are okay.
- Follow all FHS and Classroom Policies and Procedures.
Classroom Policies and Procedures:
- Positive, responsible and safe participation is expected of all students.
- Be considerate and respectful of your instructor, classmates and learning environment.
- Classroom disruption will result in disciplinary action.
- Plagiarism and cheating will result in serious disciplinary or corrective action.
- Include your name, period, date, and assignment title on all work. No name, no grade!
- Hall passes will be given according to FHS policy. Please ask for permission, take the pass, and sign out and in by the door. Please do not abuse this policy.
- The teacher dismisses the class. Remain in your seat and do not pack up until the dismissal bell rings. Do not wait by the door for the bell to ring.
- Be respectful and cooperative with substitutes.
- When all announcements come on, STOP what you are doing and listen quietly.
- Stay with the class during fire or bomb drills and in the auditorium during presentations.
Cell Phones and Electronic Devices Policy:
You may not have any electronic devices out in the classroom without permission. I encourage students to take pictures of the boards, however you must ask before doing so. Anyone with their phone out will be given one warning. If it is not put away, the student will be written up and will have to take their phone to discipline and return to class without it.
Class Work/Makeup Work Policy:
- Do all work independently unless otherwise assigned.
- Classwork is due by the end of the period in which it was assigned unless otherwise stated.
- IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to find out what you missed during absence(s), and to follow up on make-up work according to FHS policy. You have 2 days per absence (up to 6 days total) to make up work and tests that are assigned while absent, not if the work or test is assigned prior to the absence.
- Unless you have an excused absence, late work is unacceptable – a zero will be issued.
- Make up work/notes can be found on the web site, in the class planner, or by asking the teacher.
- Do all makeup work at home or in CAT, not during class.
- Arrange a time to make up tests with me as soon as you return. These can be taken during CAT period or before / after school.
All homework assigned is designed to help guide your studying and help reinforce content learned in class. Students who expect to succeed should STUDY. All students should be reviewing what we covered each day using the online resources or their textbooks, binder, and notes.
Unit Extra Credit:
Download the following document for instructions. Each summary done is worth 20 points.
Classroom Supplies Needed:
All classroom supplies extra credit will be placed in the HW category.
Max 25 points each quarter!!!
Items on this list are worth 5 points each:
Ream of white or color copy paper (worth 10 points)
4 Pack of Play-Doh
Handheld Pencil Sharpener
Loose Leaf paper
Ziploc Sandwich bags
Dry Erase Markers
Pack of Pens (Black, Blue, or Red ink)
Remind App Codes
Text your class code to 81010
Period 1 - @reavesbio1
Period 2 - @reavesbio2
Period 3 - @reavesbio3
Period 4 - @reavesbio4
Period 5 - @reavesbio5
Period 6 - @reavesbio6
Remind allows me to send out reminders to the class and you have a direct line to communicate with me. Have a question while studying out of the classroom? Ask away! As long as my phone is on me, I can answer.