Welcome to :
Orientation to Health Occupations!
Instructor: Mrs. Colleen Moore
Phone: (352) 465-6720 Extension: 55293
Course description: The purpose of this course is to assist students in making informed decisions regarding their future academic and occupational goals and to provide information regarding careers in the Health Science career cluster. The content includes but is not limited to basic information about the kinds of jobs and workers involved the various career paths, financial rewards, occupational hazards, and educational requirements. Information concerning the practices for promoting good health is included. Instruction and learning activities are provided in a laboratory setting using hands-on experiences with the equipment, materials and technology (class set of lap tops for all students to use!) appropriate to the course content and in accordance with current practices.
Standards: After successfully completing this program, the student will be able to perform the following:
- Recognize progress in health care service.
- Show an awareness of health careers.
- Identify life stages and the health care needs of each.
- Demonstrate basic communication skills.
- Perform basic mathematical calculations and problem solving skills used by the health care worker.
- Demonstrate an understanding of principles of wellness.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the sciences in the health care field.
- Explore the multiple facets of wellness and disease.
- Perform basic health care skills.
- Demonstrate employability skills related to a health occupation.Demonstrate occupational safety.
- Describe and use communication features of information technology.
- Identify components of network systems.
Supplies Needed for Each Student: (#’s 4, 5, & 6 are optional)
- A 1” (one inch) Binder (to be stored & kept in class)
- Notebook paper in the binder
- Writing Utensil (Please no colored ink other than black or blue)
- One box of Kleenex / Tissues (no brand specific)
- One bottle of Hand Sanitizer
- Post-It Notes – not mandatory, but very helpful with daily exit strategies for recapping what knowledge the students absorbed from that day’s lesson. J
- Arrive on time and be in assigned seat when tardy bell rings.
- Be prepared (paper, pencil, notebook, etc.)
- Permission and a pass are required to leave the classroom. You must also sign in/out on the sign-in sheet.
- Horseplay will not be tolerated! Use of medical equipment only permitted under direct teacher supervision.
- Cheating will not be tolerated and will result in a zero and a discipline referral.
- Courtesy and respect for others is expected at all times!!!
- Inappropriate language absolutely will not be tolerated in my classroom!
Grading distribution: Grading Scale:
Notebook / Binder Checks Weekly: 20% 90-100 A
Assignments, Quizzes & Participation: 40% 80-89 B
Tests, Projects, Hands on Skills Labs: 40% 70-79 C
*All make-up work is due the following class upon returning to school. (IT IS THE STUDENT’S RESPONSIBILITY TO OBTAIN ANY WORK MISSED WHILE OUT ABSENT- EXCUSED & UNEXCUSED)
Discipline: 1st offense-verbal warning. 2nd offense-silent lunch assigned / & or parent contact (call, e-mail, note). 3rd offense- referral. **extreme behavior will result in an instant referral.
The requirements and information on this syllabus are all designed with a successful year in mind. I want all of you to know my door is open any time for advice and help. I look forward to learning from all of you, along with teaching and guiding you. It is important to be aware this syllabus may be changed at any time during the school year to better meet the needs of the classroom and you as students.
Parents/guardians: this syllabus is also designed with you in mind, as it outlines the assignments and expectations of your child’s school year. Your signature, returned to me, will let me know you understand the goals and expectations set forth for the 2016-2017 school year. THANKS!
Student Name: _____________________________________________________________
Parent/Guardian Print: _______________________________________________________
Parent/Guardian Signature: ___________________________________________________
Home Phone: ________________________Cell Phone: _____________________________
Any other information about your child that I should know please write in space below: