Student Volunteer Service Guidelines
To qualify for a Florida Bright Futures Scholarship, Florida Statute 1009.53 requires high school students to complete a program of volunteer service work, as approved by the district school board. A student must identify a social or civic issue or professional area that interests him or her, develop a plan for his or her personal involvement in addressing the issue or learning about the area, and, through papers or other presentations, evaluate and reflect upon his or her experience.
The service activity must not be:
- for a family member
- compensated financially
- compensated with other material benefit
- for academic credit
- All hours must be earned before graduation and should be submitted before the school deadline.
- While not required for high school graduation, volunteer service hours can be used for scholarships and are required for Florida Bright Futures Scholarships:
- Florida Academic Scholars (FAS) 100 hours
- Florida Medallion Scholars (FMS) 75 hours
- Florida Gold Seal Vocational Scholars (GSV) 30 hours
Activities/Hours That Count
- United Way agencies
- Nonprofit agencies
- Special Olympics
- School volunteer programs
- Chambers of Commerce
- Nursing homes, hospitals, nonprofit clinics
- Service club activities that provide a benefit to the community
- Curriculum-based service learning
- Business or governmental internships
- Activities on behalf of a candidate for public office
Activities/Hours That Do Not Count
- Regular practice time and meeting times for extra-curricular activities and clubs
- Saturday school or detention/work detail
- Court ordered community service
- Service performed for pay
- Service related to armed services recruitment requirements
- School musical or dramatic production where credit is earned
- Job shadowing
- Material donations such as money, food, blood, etc.
- Activities required for academic coursework
If you have any questions regarding your activity, please speak with your school volunteer service contact prior to starting.
Please click on the appropriate school link below to access the (two-sided) form students need to complete and turn in to their school volunteer service contact to receive credit for volunteer service hours.
Belleview High School Lake Weir High School West Port High School Dunnellon High School Marion Technical Institute Other Schools Forest High School North Marion High School Francis Marion Military Academy Vanguard High School