Contacts for Substitutes
Rochelle Ziegler, Clerk Specialist - Substitute Coordinator
- Phone (352) 671-7183 / Ext 57183
Thank you for your interest in becoming a substitute teacher with Marion County Public Schools! Below you will find the necessary information to become part of the team helping students to succeed!
- A High School Diploma AND Five (5) years of verifiable work experience (must be on company letterhead or five years of W2 forms); OR an AA/AS degree or 60 college semester hours.
- Certified full-time teaching experience OR Certificate of Completion of the Introduction Teacher Training (for Substitute Teachers).
- Completion of an online application and submit all required documents; Driver’s license, Social Security Card and any other documents as required.
Training Program with Classroom Management
- Effective July 1, 2004, substitute “candidates who have no prior teaching experience, as determined by the employing school district, must complete an additional training program that includes classroom management skills and instructional strategies (FL Statute 1012.35).”
- The district provides the on-line training option, Introduction Teacher Training (for Substitute Teachers), for potential substitutes to comply with the statutory requirement. Candidates logon to the online course at www.edtrainingcenter.com. The instructions for course registration will be emailed once your application has been approved. Candidates register and pay the $20 training cost online. Once the 20-hour, 5 module course is complete, the candidate should print and send a copy of the certificate of completion to the Employment Service Division where the certificate is placed in the applicant’s file.
- Complete the Online Application for "Substitute Teacher - Daily."
- Once all of the above have been submitted to the Employment Service Division, the Employment History Check will be conducted. Upon a successful employment history check, prospective candidates will be contacted by Employment Services to schedule a New Hire Session.
- It is important to monitor your email for correspondence as documents/reference/etc. may be needed to proceed with the employment process.
- At the New Hire Session, prospective candidates will be required to pay an up-front fee of $119 for the cost of fingerprinting/background check and drug testing. Acceptable payment methods for this fee are cash, check or debit card/credit card.
There are three (3) categories of substitute teachers. They include:
- DAILY or REGULAR SUBSTITUTES
- Substitutes are paid on a daily basis as needed at a rate of $70.00 per day with no benefits.
- CONTINUOUS OR CONTINUING SUBSTITUTES
- A minimum of 60 semester hours of college academic credits or an Associate’s Degree are required to be eligible for Continuous Substitute pay at the rate of $85.00 per day with no benefits. Continuous or Continuing Substitutes must substitute for 10 or more continuous days for the same teacher. The school principal must submit a “Request to Hire a Continuous Substitute” form to Employment Services Division for approval prior to being paid at the $85.00 per day rate.
- CERTIFIED SUBSTITUTES
- To be eligible for Certified Substitute pay, the individual must hold a Bachelor’s Degree and be either a certified teacher, or eligible for a teaching certificate. Certified Substitutes are in the same assignment generally a semester or more and will require district administrator approval prior to receiving the rate of $100.00 per day, with no benefits. The State Auditor General's office has informed districts that long-term substitutes meant to replace a teacher for more than half the school year in a long-term capacity, must hold educator certification in the appropriate subject area. Further, if their certification is in a subject area other than the required area, an Out-of-Field Agreement will need to be signed and the parents must receive written notification from the school that the certified Substitute does not hold the required subject certification, but is actively working to secure the appropriate certification.
Substitute Calling System (SCS)
- Employee AESOP Learning Center
- Substitute AESOP Learning Center
- Introduction Teacher Training (for Substitute Teachers) --Reminder: Instructions for registration will be emailed to you.
- DOE - Bureau of Educator Certification / (800) 445-6739
- DOE- Testing Agency / (813) 974-2400
- For availability of online tests and pass/fail results
- DOE- Student Financial Aid / (888)827-2004
- For critical shortage area financial aid information
- College of Central Florida University Center
- American Board for Certification of Teacher Excellence
- Time to Teach: Achieving FL Teacher Certification