Contacts for Substitutes
Latasha Dowdy, Clerk Specialist - Substitute Coordinator
- (352) 671-7183 Extension 57183
Thank you for your interest in becoming a substitute teacher with Marion County Public Schools! Below you will find the necessary information to become part of the team helping students to succeed!
- A High School Diploma AND Five (5) years of verifiable work experience (must be on company letterhead or five years of W2 forms); OR an AA/AS degree or 60 college semester hours.
- Certified full-time teaching experience OR Certificate of Completion of the SubSkills Online Training Course (for Substitute Teachers), with a score of 85% or higher.
- Completion of an online application and submission of all required documents; Driver’s License, Social Security Card and any other document as required.
Training Program with Classroom Management
- Effective July 1, 2004, substitute “candidates who have no prior teaching experience, as determined by the employing school district, must complete an additional training program that includes classroom management skills and instructional strategies (FL Statute 1012.35).”
- The district provides an on-line training option, SubSkills Online Training Course (for Substitute Teachers), for potential substitutes to comply with the statutory requirement. Candidates logon to the online course at www.STEDI.org. The instructions for course registration will be emailed once your application has been approved. Once the 6 module course is complete, the candidate should print and send a copy of the certificate of completion to Substitute Coordinator Latasha Dowdy in the Employment Services Division.
- Complete the Online Application for "Substitute Teacher - Daily."
- Once the required documentation has been submitted to the Employment Service Division, an Employment History Check will be completed and then prospective candidates will be contacted to schedule a New Hire Session.
- It is important to monitor your email for correspondence as documents/reference/etc. may be needed to proceed with the employment process.
- At the New Hire Session, prospective candidates will be required to pay an up-front fee of $119 for background and drug testing clearance. Acceptable forms of payment are: cash, check or debit card/credit card.
There are three (3) categories of substitute teachers. They include:
- DAILY/REGULAR SUBSTITUTES
- Substitutes are paid on a daily basis as needed at a rate of $117.00 per day with no benefits.
- CONTINUOUS OR CONTINUING SUBSTITUTES
- Continuing Substitutes must substitute for 10 or more consecutive days in the same assignment and will be paid at a rate of $132.00 per day with no benefits.
- CERTIFIED SUBSTITUTES
- To be eligible for Certified Substitute pay of $142.00 per day with no benefits, substitutes must hold a valid Florida educator certificate, and be assigned for 10 or more consecutive days in the same assignment.
- The State Auditor General's office has informed districts that long-term substitutes meant to replace a teacher for more than half the school year in a long-term capacity, must hold educator certification in the appropriate subject area. Further, if their certification is in a subject area other than the required area, an Out-of-Field Agreement will need to be signed. Parents must receive written notification from the school that the certified Substitute does not hold the required subject certification but is actively working to secure the appropriate certification.
Substitute Calling System (SCS)
- Employee AESOP Learning Center
- Substitute AESOP Learning Center
- SubSkills Online Training Course (for Substitute Teachers) --Reminder: Instructions for registration will be emailed to you once your application is approved.