COURSE SYLLABUS – Rock Band/Studio Music Ensemble
Room#: 2-107 Grade Level: 9-12
Course Credit: 1 credit Prerequisite: Audition
Instructor: Dean Marino E-mail: Dean.Marino@marion.k12.fl.us
Rhythm section ensembles focused on commercial music performance genres and recording techniques.
- Overall GPA: 3.0
- Audition and/or approval from instructor
General course objectives
- Develop the practical skills necessary to work as a professional musician
- Expose the student to a variety of commercial music genres
- Classroom meetings
- Daily rehearsals
- Live performances, on & off-campus
- recording skills and performance
- Business skills required for the professional musician
Rock Band is a performance-focused course. Students WILL:
- practice outside of class
- have excellent attendance
- be prepared to rehearse in class everyday
- participate in all mandatory performances
Students will demonstrate proficiency in these basic skills:
- understand a variety of musical notation styles, including but not limited to:
- chord charts
- traditional musical notation
- Nashville number system
- demonstrate improvisational skills via their knowledge of musical theory as well as detailed study of great musicians
- understand the nuances of all genres of popular music
- have a keen knowledge of their function in a rhythm section
- understand stage performance techniques that captivate an audience
- efficiently communicate in professional musical terms
- apply professional rehearsal techniques
- understand basic set-up and function of sound equipment for both rehearsals & performances
- sing backup vocals anywhere required while playing their primary instrument
- learn a secondary instrument
- apply show-band choreography when musically appropriate
Performances, participation and promptness guidelines. Students will:
- participate in all mandatory scheduled activities in their entirety:
- Loading equipment
- Tear down
- Unloading equipment
- understand that once a performance is scheduled participation is mandatory.
- understand the severity of missing any scheduled performance. The nature of commercial music ensembles imposes a great responsibility on each member of the band toward the overall sound and performance. Each absence affects not only you, but the entire ensemble as well as the audience that has taken the time to attend the concert.
Mandatory Performances and Technical Rehearsals
All Rock Band members MUST participate in the following concerts and technical rehearsals or be subject to removal from Rock Band/Studio Music class:
- Winter Concert and Technical Rehearsal (2 nights)
- Spring Concert and Technical Rehearsal (2 nights)
- Original Un-plugged Concert (1 Night)
- Rock Band class was created to teach the real world application of musical skills.
- Students will attain both the musical and business acumen in order for them to participate in a music career at professional levels.
- Guitar players and bass players must furnish their own instruments, cables, picks, effects and supplies. Amplification will be provided.
- Drummers and keyboardists may use instruments provided.
- Students are encouraged to use ear-plugs