This is an after school dance performance program for Howard Middle School directed by Sheila Ruotolo, Director of Dance for Madison Street Academy. For the first time this year, the group will be meeting at HMS!
This program will be focused on Contemporary, Jazz Funk and African Dance styles. We will be meeting in BLDG 6-009, on Friday afternoons from 3:35 (right after the bell) until 5:00 starting Friday, August 24th. Please look over the following details:
- There is a Costume fee of $60.00. This will be yours to keep, however, girls must also supply your own accessories such as tan tights, and Jazz shoes and they must be black in color. Boys must supply your own black pants, black T-shirt, black shoes, and black socks.
- For your convenience, I can supply you with the items mentioned above for a fee. Please email me for those details.
- Parents are to pick up student’s car riding students at the front entrance of the school building. Extended Day students must check into extended day first then come to rehearsal. At 5:00 they will be released by me back to extended day.
- Students must adhere to the procedures and discipline rules on the back of this letter.This is a performance group and we will be going out in to the community. Performance most likely will be on a Saturdays so you must make yourself available to perform or be willing to rearrange your schedule if necessary.
- Students must also maintain grades of C or above and S in conduct in all classes! If a student’s grade falls below these levels on their report card, the student will be on probation and may not perform until the grade(s) if brought up on the next report card. They may continue with rehearsals, with the parent’s approval, so they will not fall behind in the choreography the rest of the group is learning.
Remember to bring the costume fee with you to the first practice on Friday, August 24th. Parents, if you have any questions (or just need a registration form) I can always be reached by email at Sheila.Ruotolo@marion.k12.fl.us.
List of performance dates:
90% of our performances are on Saturdays.
Oct. 27th in the morning (11:00)
FAFO FINAL INSTRUCTIONS – PLEASE READ CAREFULLY J
Parents and Performers,
Remember FAFO is Saturday 10/27 and performance time is 11:00-12:00 at Citizens Circle downtown Ocala. This is a MANDATORY performance for all performers in HMS Dancers. Please note the following final instructions:
- CALL TIME: 10:00 on the grassy side of the stage. Look for me I will be there.
- Performers should bring a bottled water with them and apply sunscreen before putting on costumes if needed.
- ONLY WATER IS ALLOWED WHILE IN COSTUME. NO OTHER FOOD OR DRINK.
- Come in costume with jazz shoes and any other pieces in hand.
- HMS Dancers are performing immediately after MSA (in the same time block) so no one will be dismissed until they are done dancing and I can safely dismiss everyone. Howard will be last so they can help assure the safety of the younger ones.
REMEMBER THAT NO ONE IS DISMISSED UNTIL THE ENTIRE PERFORMANCE IS DONE. PLEASE DO NOT COME UP TO THE PERFORMERS UNTIL THEY HAVE BEEN DISMISSED BY ME.
The only way I can keep the entire group safe is to have NO ONE around the students except MYSELF especially when they are doing costume changes (students are supposed to be helping each other) so please help me by keeping your distance until the entire performance is done and then please stand in the grass until the students come to you. This way they have a chance to collect all of their costumes and I am able to visibly see that all students have their parent. HMS Dancers will be assisting to earn volunteer points.
Finally, please do not come up and take pictures of the performers once the show has started. Other students will be changing costumes and it makes for a very uncomfortable situation for those students if adults are visibly standing around taking pictures. J
Please take plenty of the actual performances and feel free to share with me. J
Thank you and I hope you enjoy the performance. J
Nov 17th in the evening
Dec 22nd (optional but morning and evening)
Jan 12th time tba
Jan 19th time around 12:00