What is Reading Endorsement?
- Reading Endorsement is an add-on credential for certified, Florida teachers. This credential spans grade levels kindergarten through grade 12 and indicates that the teacher is knowledgeable on the instruction and intervention of reading for students across that grade-level span.
Why do I need to be Reading Endorsed?
- According to Florida Statutes 1011.62(9) and 1008.25(7), there are three scenarios in which a teacher must be endorsed in reading:
- The teacher teaches reading to third-grade retained students at any tier of instruction.
- The teacher teaches Summer Reading Camp to third-grade students.
- The teacher teaches an intensive intervention in reading to students in any grade level (K-12).
Options for Receiving the Reading Endorsement
- University of Florida Flamingo Literacy Matrix Program. Learn more about the Flamingo Literacy Matrix for Reading Endorsement offerings and sign-up.
- Marion County’s Reading Endorsement Plan (details below). MCPS course offerings flyer and registration information.
- As of Fall 2019, teachers may apply for their Reading Endorsement upon passing the FTCE Reading K-12 exam. Additional details are located on the FTCE Testing Webpage.
- If you graduated with your undergraduate degree from a state-approved, Florida teacher preparation program between 2006 and July 1, 2010, in the following major areas:
- Elementary Education
- Prekindergarten and Primary Education
- Exceptional Student Education
Have your transcripts reviewed at the Florida Department of Education (FLDOE) and if all coursework is completed, an endorsement can be issued. You can submit for transcript review by applying for reading endorsement on the FLDOE Certification Site.
There is a fee of $75 to apply, but if you have outstanding courses and complete them within three years, you will not need to pay a second time to add the endorsement.
If you graduated with your undergraduate degree in the above major areas from an approved program after July 1, 2010, you may have credit towards endorsement on your college transcript. Please send your transcript to Carole Gray, Carole.Gray@marion.k12.fl.us.
For a list of Florida state-approved teacher preparation programs please visit the State-Approved Teacher Preparation Program List.
Marion County’s Reading Endorsement Process
The MCPS Reading Endorsement Competencies are offered to instructional personnel that holds a valid teaching certificate. Our district is now offering all five Reading Endorsement Competencies. There are a variety of options for taking Reading Endorsement Competencies described below.
More Information about the MCPS Reading Endorsement Process
- To register for MCPS Reading Endorsement competencies access the MCPS professional learning system (Canvas Catalog), enter the offering name, and enroll in the session.
- Facilitators will contact enrolled participants in advance through the MCPS email system with detailed procedures to begin the session.
- Competencies 1-3 are online self-paced sessions. All 60 hours will be spent on an online Canvas Course. Competencies 4 and 5 are hybrid sessions. In addition to online coursework, participants are required to attend five, 2-hour face-to-face sessions. Dates and times will be provided at the time of registration.
- Competencies 1, 2, and 3 can be taken in any order. Once these courses have been successfully completed participants can take Competency 4. Competency 5 must be taken last.
- Competencies 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 are offered in the fall, spring, and summer semesters.
- Upon satisfactory completion of each Reading Endorsement competency, a survey will be distributed to participants after each session has closed. Once the survey is completed by the participant, the session credit will appear on the participant’s Professional Learning Transcript. It is the participant’s responsibility to ensure the survey is complete and the credits are accurate on their transcript. Once all five competencies appear on the participant’s transcript totaling 300 hours of inservices credit, the participant may apply for an endorsement on the FLDOE certification website.
Adding Reading Endorsement to Your Certification
The following paperwork and payment fee to add the endorsement to your certificate must be submitted to Carole Gray in Employment Services:
The Certification Application Payroll Deduction Authorization Form must be sent to ESD Certification once the certification application for “Addition of Endorsement via District Application” has been submitted online at the FLDOE Certification Website.