Belleview High School
Office Hours: M-F- 9:00-9:25 a.m.
Course Description: This course emphasizes the fundamental language skills of reading, writing, speaking, listening, thinking, viewing and presenting. An emphasis on vocabulary and composition skills will be an on-going part of the program. The course includes studies of various literary genres: short story, poetry, novel, drama, and non-fiction. The development of critical reading and writing skills is a major emphasis of the course.
Remind App: text @eng1ab to 81010
Google Classroom:Please sign in to google classroom using your student log in information.
4thperiod—Use the code c5itt2wto join the class.
5thperiod—Use the code idwp4vto join the class.
6thperiod—Use the code 9gphtzzto join the class.
- Blue or Black pen & highlighters
- #2 Pencils
- Loose leaf paper
- Binder specifically for the class (or a section of a larger binder with 4 dividers dedicated to this class)
- Four dividers for the binder: Bell work, Notes, Handouts/Assignments, Returned/Graded work
- BE COOPERATIVE: Participate in class discussion and activities. Listen—and don’t talk—when others are speaking.
- BE RESPECTFUL: Profane language and/or purposefully hurtful comments or actions toward me or other students will not be tolerated.
- BE RESPONSIBLE: Have your supplies and homework, if applicable, with you at the start of class. Also finish your “snacks” BEFORE entering the classroom. Bottles of water are permitted in class. You must be IN you assigned seat with your materials out and ready to work WHEN the tardy bell rings. If not, you are tardy! Continued tardiness will result in a referral.
- BE SAFE: Follow all directions; don’t leave your seat without permission, and keep desk and chair legs on the floors. Backpacks must be kept under the desk.
- Absolutely NO CELL PHONESout during class, unless specified. If I catch you with it out, you will be given a referral after the first warning. You are also not allowed to charge your cellphone during class.
- If you are absence on a test day, you must make it up before school between 8:30 a.m. - 9:30 a.m., the next day you are in attendance.
- After one week, a zero will be placed in if you have not made the test up.
- When you are absent YOUare responsible for obtaining the necessary make-up work. You may get the class notes from another student or see me BEFORE school between 9:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m. I will NOT be available to give you the necessary make up work during the regular class time. You may also follow the class webpage, or our Google Classroom page for updates on days you are absent.
- You are responsible for maintaining your graded and returned work.
- You should have your binder and all supplies every class.
- Late work policy: If work is turned in one day late, 10 points will be taken off. If the work is turned in 2 days late, then 20 points will be taken off. After 3 days, 50 points are taken off. After one week, it is a 0 in the grade book.
- If you have a valid doctor’s note explaining your absence, I will accept your work the day after you come back. A parent’s note will not suffice.
- I reserve the right to add any other procedures if needed throughout the year.
The Honor Code:
Cheating and plagiarism represent the theft of someone else’s ideas or work, either by soliciting answers on a quiz or test, copying an assignment, or by misrepresenting the true sources of your writing. To promote academic integrity, we encourage a sense of fair play with credit sought only when it is deserved. All persons involved in an incident of cheating will be disciplined. This includes those who knowingly supply answers or other information to students and those who utilize that information. Students who cheat will face other disciplinary actions, including a zero for the assignment and a referral.
Daily assignments/Classwork/Quizzes/CRLs: 50%
A = 100-90
B = 89-80
C = 79-70
D = 69-60
F = 59-0
Grades for assignments and test will be uploaded to Skyward as soon as possible. Students and parents, make sure to check Skyward often to keep up with your grade in this class.
I will allow re-do work for students whose work did not demonstrate mastery of a standard. Students can make up work to gain up to 50% of the missed credit. For example, if a student makes a 50% on a paper, the student can re-do the paper for a maximum score of 75%. Class tests and standardized assessments are excluded from this rule.
Disclaimer: All dates, assignments and points are subject to change. Notification of changes will be communicated through students, the teacher website, or the Remind App.
By signing this, I agree that I have read the syllabus in its entirety and agree to the rules and procedures indicated above.
By turning this slip in by the end of the week (8/17/18), you will receive full credit for a homework assignment. Failure to turn this in will result in a zero.
Student Signature Date Parent Signature Date
Student Print Parent Print