If you have missed any assignments, make sure you go back and do them. Make sure to check your school emails. Email me if you have any questions.
All assignments are due by 5/29. You may make up any assignments missed. Check your portal for your grade. 50's mean you need to make up the assignment. 6th and 7th graders using school instruments and intending on being in band next year may keep the instrument for the summer.
Zoom awards meeting Monday 5/25 @ 7:00 p.m. Zoom information and password will be sent out Monday to the students email.
Assignments due 5/20 Wed. and announcements
- We will be having a zoom meeting to present awards on Monday, May 25 @ 7:00 p.m. These are the awards that would have been given out at the concert. I will post on my web page and send an email with the zoom info and password next week.
- Students that left items or instruments in the bandroom will be able to pick them up on Tuesday, May 19 from 8:00 a.m.-10:00a.m. Please email me if you intend on picking up items and what items you will be picking up so I can have it ready for you.
- Breezin- 1 drill
- Smart music- assignment will be posted in smart music. You will be learning the solo at the end of your book. You will learn the first half this week and the rest of it next week. You will notice 2 assignments with different dates. Students without instruments or smart music will write a 2 page report on the history of bands to receive credit. Please don't just copy and paste. Write in your own words.
Assignments due 5/13 Wed.
- 1 drill from Breezin. I will be checking to see that the number of drills increased by at least 1 from last week.
- Smart music- located in smart music assignments #131. Those that don't have smart music but have instrument email me a sound or video clip of you playing #131 from red book. Those without instruments Work from 8 notes and email me what you worked on to get credit.
- Everyone read article on intonation and email me 3 things you learned from the article. ARTICLE
Assignments due 5/6 Wed.
- 1 drill from Breezin. You must complete at least 1 drill each week. I will be checking to see that the number of drills are increasing each week by at least 1.
- Smart Music - Bb concert scale (located in your assignments in smart music) Those that don't have smart music can send me a short video or audio clip of you playing the scale. Those students without instruments can work from 8notes.com. Must do at least 15 minutes in the trainers.
- Zoom meeting Friday 5/1 @ 10:00 a.m.-10:30 a.m. Have your instrument and book ready. We will try to play. Should be fun. Make sure you use your real name or I won't let you in the meeting.
Assignments due 4/29 Wed.
- 1 drill from Breezin. Make sure you log into Breezin each week for roll. You must complete at least 1 drill each week. I will be checking to see that the number of drills are increasing each week.
- Smart music- I will be checking to see that you are practicing at least 30 minutes each week. You can practice the solo you selected or anything else in smart music-scales, exercises, songs. If you can't do smart music due to computer, then practice your instrument for 30 minutes- scales, band book or music found on computer. Email me a list this week of what you practiced. If you have no instrument, then go onto www.8notes.com and go to resources/music theory. Scroll down and practice on the trainers (ex. note trainer, brass trainer, ear trainer). Email me what you did.
- Zoom meeting - Friday 4/24 @ 10:30 a.m. Check your email for invite.
Assignments due 4/22 Wednesday
- Breezin thru theory- Continue to submit 1 drill each week. If you have trouble go back and look at the lessons. Make sure you log into Breezin by Wednesday each week as that is how I will take roll.
- Smart Music- From the home page go to band/orchestra then concert band. Set the difficulty to beginning and pick a song to practice. This will be a later assignment for you but go ahead and start practicing it now.
- Video assignment- You were to watch the video last week and email me the ideas you wanted to try and complete 1 of them. Many of you did not do this. This week you are to complete 1 more of your ideas.
Assignments due 4/15 Wednesday-
- Breezin thru theory- If you have missed any drills go back to the earliest one and complete it. Keep doing the ones you missed. If you kept up with the drills, then continue. You should do 1 drill each week. You must log in each week so I can take attendance and see that you are doing your work.
- Smart Music-Minute Man March See smart music for the assignment. Remember to always submit. I can listen to it to tell you what you may be doing wrong or if the computer is not picking up your sound. Email me if you have trouble.
- Watch this video: https://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/resources/videos/educational-videos/special-message-to-students-from-tim-lautzenhesier After watching the video make a list of some of the ideas you want to do. Complete 1 of the ideas by 4/15 and email me which one you did.
Assignments due 4/8 Wednesday
- Breezin thru theory- The log in is listed below. You are to complete 1 drill each week. Make sure you do the lessons first so you know how to do the drill. If you have never done Breezin or missed some drills, you need to go back to the earliest one and start there. If you have been keeping up with it, you should be on chapter 4-3a.
- We will be using Smart Music for testing on your instrument. Play around with it as it can be fun. For smart music go to https://admin.smartmusic.com/join. Put in the code for your class period of beginning band. 2nd period TADFM-6DMVF 4th period MNHA3-FGYGF. You may have to create an account. You will need to wait for me to approve you before you get the email or can get your assignments. Your assignments will be listed under assignments. You will have 1 assignment each week. Don't submit until you have the grade you want in the gradebook.
Beginning band is a 1 year course offered to students who want to learn a band instrument. Students will be required to attend after school concerts and some rehearsals. Students in beginning band have the opportunity to do the Ocala Christmas Parade as part of the color guard (flags and rifles). More info on the colorguard will be sent home later to students that are interested.
Do not buy an instrument until after your child has been tested and assigned an instrument. Students will be shown all the instruments and be tested before being assigned an instrument. A letter will be sent home with the information and what is needed for your Childs' assigned instrument.
Here are some useful items for the school year:
Remind app- To sign up for beg. band remind app enter 81010 text @khc3c
Email Mrs. Koehn -email@example.com
The book used for beginning band is the Standards of Excellence Book 1.
Assignments for Beginning Band
Students should practice a minimum of 15 minutes a day outside of the classroom setting.
Breezin' thru music theory is a computer based program that will enhance the learning of music theory. Subscription for the students have been paid. Grades will be given for certain assignments. You can access the site through computer, tablet or cell phone.
Smart music tests will be taken each nine weeks. Smart music is a computer based program that will enhance your Childs practice time. It may be purchased at home for $40 a school year. Go to Smartmusic.com to order. I only have 2 computers for students to take the tests at school and time is limited.