SYLLABUS for HOPE Variation #1506320
Class assignments will be access in Microsoft Teams using the student's Office 365. Chapter Test and Quiz will be complete in Skyward.
Course Description: The purpose of this course is to develop and enhance healthy behaviors that influence lifestyle choices that impact the student's health and fitness. Students will combine the learning of principles and background information in a classroom setting with physical application of the knowledge. The course will primarily be split up between 2 to 3 days of classroom covering Health education issues/ topics such as but are not limited to:
- Mental/Social Health,
- Physical Activity,
- Components of Physical Fitness
- Wellness Planning
- Diseases and Disorders
- Health Advocacy
- Personal Fitness & Safety
- Evaluating &Training for Fitness
- BRAZEN (abstinence education or sexual risk avoidance)
- CPR/First Aid,
- Substance Abuse.
Method of Class Instruction: Lecture and discussions are supplemented by reading, writing, small group discussions, project, guest speakers, audiovisual aids and well as developing Wellness plan, fitness training & personal evaluation.
Physical Education activities will included two or three activities a week instruction that includes but not limited to these physical activities such as:
- Track it Tuesday ( walk/jog track or complete an fitness challenge activity)
- Wellness Wednesday's - Fitness center ( weight machine and cardio- step activity)
- Tae Bo video/activities
- Dumbbell fitness routine
- Circuit training
- Elastic band resistance training
- Various other body weight training/calisthenics
- Free choice play game/ activities ( basketball, volleyball, soccer, frisbee and etc.)
COURSE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Required Materials: Students are expected to bring the following items to class each day.
- # 2 pencil or pen (dark blue or black ink).
- Duo-tang folder w/ pockets and will be kept in the classroom's (plastic bins by each period).
- Loose leaf paper
- Tennis shoes are required for physical/fitness on activity days (Wednesday and Block days).
- Masks are required while in the classroom and when social distancing is not possible. While outside, if students are maintaining social distancing mask are an option. Students may be required to wipe down equipment before/after use.
- Water Bottle with a secure top for use during physical activity time is encouraged ( drinking from water fountains is prohibited).
West Port’s Expectations -We are Prompt to Class, Prepared to learn , Polite with fellow students and staff members and Productive individuals as WPHS students while on campus and in society.
NO FOOD, NO DRINK, NO GUM, NO CANDY, in classroom, gym, or fitness center. A water bottle with a secure top is permitted in the classroom and outside areas.
ABSENT students must be personally responsible to obtain missed material through the Microsoft Team format. You will not find missed assignments on my teacher website. Additional help to complete any assignments can be utilized through these various avenues listed below:
- Check Teacher website Calendar to view the prior week's classroom and fitness activities (although you must Access the assignment directly from Microsoft Teams) .
- Be present during B ALPHA hour time in Coach Hart's classroom to make up and discuss any information for a missed test or assignment.
- Use the Example Notebook that available in my classroom, in which students can view and discuss with the teacher.
- It is the student’s responsibility to make up any missed work within 3 days after the assignment has been issued.
- Remember it may take a few days after you submit your make up work for it to be graded and recorded in the Gradebook.
Students are expected to complete all assignments ON TIME, attend all classes, participate in class discussions and have proper footwear ( no slides or sandles (open toed shoes) when participating in any physical activities.
H.O.P.E course grade will be based on these categories:
Classroom assignment, fitness logs and other daily assignment items =20%
Physical Participation:Tennis shoes are required during participation in all physical/fitness activities = 50%
Test and Projects = 30% 20 % of the course grade is the End Of Course Exam
Release from physical activity: If a student is unable to participate in physical activity due to a medical reason, he/she must present a doctor’s note stating the number of days excused. A note from a parent will excuse a student for one day only. Please see a doctor if more time is needed.
(Go to www.cpalms.org to see standards) or the class Web site www.westportwolfpack.org)
~An Equal Opportunity School District~