Some of the objectives of this speech class are:
1. To communicate effectively
2. Assemble and present a speech. To present yourself in a positive manner.
3. Listening skills
4. Analyze an audience
5. Evaluate speeches and speaking techniques
Course Expectations Materials:
A. Bring pencil, paper and planner each day.
B. You will need a notebook. Any type of notebook will work.
A. I use a point system and assign numerical values to each assignment:
B. Grades are calculated on the basis of the following items: - Speeches - Written examinations Daily work: - Written assignments - Homework grades - Pop quizzes - Class participation - ATTITUDE! :)
A. Support each class member as he or she gives his or her speech.
B. Be on time! Remember the class tardy policy.
C. If you are absent on the day on assignment is due, you must have that assignment prepared when you return, or it will be considered late.
D. A late speech receives a dropped letter grade for each day you are late. Late daily work is a zero.
E. Pop quizzes will be given from time to time. Keep up with any reading assignments.
F. The teacher dismisses class; not the bell.
G. Be responsible and considerate! Respect yourself and others.
Persuasive Essay Topics
1. Should students be allowed to have cell phones in elementary and high schools?
2. Should students have to wear uniforms?
3. Should college athletes be paid for playing?
4. Should the elderly receive free bus rides?
5. Should state colleges be free to attend?
6. Should all American citizens have to complete a year of community service?
7. Should students be required to take Spanish classes?
8. Should marijuana be legal for medicinal purposes?
9. Should the voting age be lowered to thirteen?
10. Should the driving age be raised to twenty-one?
11. Should students be paid for having good grades?
12. Should illegal immigrants be allowed to get drivers licenses?
13. Should not wearing a seatbelt be illegal?
14. Should students' textbooks be replaced by notebook computers?
15. Should students have to pass a basic skills test to graduate high school?
16. Should schools raise money by selling candy and sugary soft drinks to students?
17. Should schools serve french-fries and fried potato products to students at lunch?
18. Should students' grades in gym affect their grade point averages?
19. Should girls be allowed to play on boys sports teams?
20. Should teens be able to buy violent video games?
21. Should boys and girls be in separate classes?
22. Should our country have a universal health care program?