3rd 9 weeks assignments
3rd 9 weeks
- 1/7-1/10- New exploration Project-Students will be reading a packet and then doing the following:
-Explain why the colts were heading west. Include 2 citations
-List and explain 5 conflicts in detail with at least 1 citation.
-Create your own version of what would be similar to what this group went through adding in at least 2 citations. Your journals need to be at least 4 entries with each being a ½ page.
Chief Joseph’s speech
-What makes this so powerful/moving? Give 2 examples towards what he personally dealt with?
-Explain what happens between his tribe and the U.S Army in detail and cite 1.
~ EXPLAIN HOW BOTH GROUPS WERE MISLEAD INCLUDING 2 CITATIONS- 1 FROM EACH WORK, AND IT NEEDS IT BE AT LEAST 2 PARAGRAPHS (1 PARAGRAPH= 5-7 SENTENCES!!!)
- 1/13- Students will be filling out a chart based off the Packet: It will have 3 topics. Examples, Tone, Effect. For each one there needs to have 2.
- 1/14- Students will be reading 329-330; 317-320. Students will be doing the collaborative discussion on pg 320 and list a couple of Historical Allusions
- 1/15-1/17-- Students will be reading a packet. They will be creating 2 poems where they pick stationary objects 1= 5-8 lines long, 2= 12-15 lines long with a figure of speech. Quiz 13
- 1/21-24-Students will be creating a conflict chart- t-chart where one side says conflict type and the other says cited example. There needs to be 2 internal and 2 external examples. The story is on pgs. 331-346 AND Quiz 14
- 1/27- Civil Rights Background - We will be watching several short documentaries on the Civil Rights to build background knowledge for the novel The Secret Life of Bees. Students will be discussing teacher and student led topics.
- 1/30-1/31- Quiz 15
- 2/4 Historical Influence -Students will explain in 2 paragraphs and cite one example from the book for each topic:
-pg 12 The color of one's skin determines certain roles a person can and can't do.
-pg 27 It's a big deal for a person of color to register to vote.
- 2/6-2/7- Quiz 16
- 2/11-Character Analysis of T.Ray/Lily's Dad, Lily, or Rosaleen - Students will find 5 examples of 2 characters that characterize them as a person. 2 need to be cited.
- 2/13- 2/14= QUIZ #17 and Scavenger Hunt #1 - Students will find on the page number the example for the designated lit term: pg 2- biblical allusion, pg 5- flashback, pg 7- 2 similes, pg 18- simile, pg 34- simile, and pg 42 simile.
- 2/19- Ethical Influence Poster -Students will discuss the ethicalness of the following topics and then make a poster: -pg 35- The cop not doing his job.
-pg 44- Historical/Ethical Rosaleen "hitting" her head.
The poster needs to depict either scene and the reasons or justification of the character for his/her actions. Use the book to cite at least 1 piece of information.
- 2/20-2/21- Quiz #18 AND Scavenger Hunt #2 -Students will find on the page number the example for the designated lit term: pg 51- simile, pg 101- simile, pg 102- onomatopoeia, pg 113- historical allusion, pg 124- 2 similes, pg 126- onomatopoeia, and pg 134- metaphor.
- 2/25- Historical and Ethical Influence -Students will respond to each topic in at least 2 paragraphs each:
-pg 84- Explain how during this time period that it was rare for August to have such a lucrative business.
-pg 88-89 Integration parade, man killed in a drive-by. How are these two portrayed in our history? Both sides?
- 2/27-2/28- Quiz #19 AND Scavenger Hunt #3 -Students will find on the page number the example for the designated lit term: pg 128- simile, pg 144- biblical allusion, pg 147- simile, pg 148- metaphor and pg 151- simile
- 3/3-3/4- Written Conversation -Students will role play the one of the scenes from The Secret Life of Bees pages: 35. 96, 156-157, and 178-179.
-1/2 of their group is role playing as a racist and the other 1/2 is role playing as a colored person who is expressing their opinions, thoughts, and feelings on the event. These groups are to add detail to their written conversations from the book.
- 3/5/3/6 - Quiz #20
- 3/9 -Scavenger Hunt #4 -Students will find on the page number the example for the designated lit term: pg 168- oxymoron and onomatopoeia, pg 182- 2 metaphors, pg 184- simile, and pg 193 metaphor and simile.
- 3/10-3/11- Skit of 1 scene with 8 boxes or rewrite of a scene including what pages and why the rewrite.
- 3/12-3/13- Written Response Test -Students will respond to 4 questions on the board having to do with the Civil Rights Movement and The Secret Life of Bees.