We will be studying the following skills and concepts this year. Some will be repeats from previous years and some will be brand new to you. All are needed to be successful in future math classes. Algebra trains you brain to think; to come up with solutions to situations you will encounter throughout your life.
- Rational and Irrational Numbers – classify, compare, decimals and fractions, square roots
- Linear Equations in One Variable – combine like terms, Distributive Property, inverse operations
- Integer Exponents – properties, square and cube roots, equations
- Scientific Notation – express values, perform operations, interpret values
- Proportional Relationships and Lines – interpret slope, slope-intercept form
- Systems of Two Linear Equations – substitution, elimination, solve by graphing or algebraically
- Defining and Comparing Functions – linear or nonlinear, domain, range, function tables
- Congruence and Similarity – transformations, prove congruency, prove similarity
- Reasoning in Geometry – parallel lines, angles, angle sum theory, Pythagorean Theorem
- Surface Area and Volume – cones, cylinders, spheres, analyze the effects of changes
- Scatter Plots – interpret, types of correlation, analyze effects of outliers
- Relative Frequency – construct and interpret tables
Students’ grade will consist of homework completion, tests, quizzes, Learning Checks (county required), class work, and a nine – week folder. A project and a nine-week exam are also possibilities.
Grades are weighted in the following manner:
Tests and Projects – 40%
Quizzes, Learning Checks, Classwork – 50%
Homework – 10%
F: 59 and Below
Classroom Rules, Expectations, and Responsibilities:
*Students will need the following items for class EVERY DAY (unless stated otherwise):
OMG - paper duotang folder
You may also want:
highlighter – your choice of color
student planner – agenda
Remember to replenish these supplies as you need them, at least once a nine week period. There will be pencils and such in my classroom for you to use in class.
*Come to class on time and prepared to work – have paper, pencil, folder, and homework ready within the first two minutes of class.
*All work to be graded must be completed in pencil. Work done in pen will receive no credit.
*Assignments are due the next class. Late assignments are not accepted. Extra credit assignments are not given. Students may redo classwork assignments for a better grade.
*Students are responsible for making up any work missed due to an absence of any kind. Work should be made up within three school days of the student’s return to school. Check the website and/or the Missed Work notebook in class to find work that needs to be made up.
*Students may resolve issues they may have in class, or with work, by speaking with me or emailing me.
*Class disruptions, tardiness, coming to class unprepared, and other student misbehavior will be handled in the following manner:
First offense – warning
Second offense – parent contact
Third offense – referral
*No food, gum, or drinks are allowed in the classroom.
*Only one student may be in the restroom area at a time. Be sure to sign out and back in so the next student can go.
*I will dismiss class when everyone is seated and quiet.
- Students may want to bring a jacket as my room stays a little cool.
I will contact parents by notes, phone calls, and/or email. Parent conferences will be scheduled when problems arise at school. These are scheduled through the guidance department.