Howard Middle School 2020 – 2021 Geometry Honors Syllabus
INITIAL COVID-19 BASED REQUIREMENTS F2F Only:
Each student must possess and properly wear a cloth face covering (mouth and nose) during each class period. A clear, transparent face shield to protect the student’s eyes is also recommended.
Geometry Honors Course Syllabus
Ms. Cooper-Davis/Ms. Coop
The depth and level of understanding expected in Geometry Honors is beyond the scope of Geometry. This course emphasizes two- and three-dimensional reasoning skills, coordinate and transformational geometry, and the use of geometric models to solve problems. A variety of applications and some general problem-solving techniques, including algebraic skills, are used to explore geometric relationships. Conjectures about properties and relationships are developed inductively and then verified deductively. Students investigate non-Euclidean geometries, formal logic, and use deductive proofs to verify theorems. Calculators, computers, graphing utilities, and other appropriate technology tools will be used to assist in teaching and learning. The essential skills are as follows:
- Solve practical problems involving angles
- Use angle relationships to determine if two lines are parallel
- Perform a variety of geometric constructions
- Construct and judge the validity of a logical argument
- Investigate, identify, and prove congruence and similarity
- Apply the Triangle Inequality properties to solve practical problems
- Solve practical problems involving right triangles
- Investigate/identify/prove/use properties of quadrilaterals
- Use polygon interior and exterior angle measures to solve problems
- Investigate and solve practical problems involving circles
- Use formulas for surface area and volume to solve problems
- Use proportional reasoning/determine effect of change to one dimension
- Solve problems involving symmetry
1" 3 ring binder or 3 prong duo-tang for handouts.
Loose Leaf Paper
TI-30Xa Calculator (Calculators are available for use in class on a first come, first served basis.)
Pencil (Wooden or Mechanical)
Compass and Protractor
Grading Policy: A student’s overall grade in the course represents how well the student was able to demonstrate mastery of content on formative and summative assignments and assessments given at specific times throughout the semester. The final exam grade represents the level of demonstrated mastery of all course content at the end of the semester.
50% Classwork/Quizzes/Unit Assessments
Make up work due to absence:
It is the student’s responsibility to complete make-up work after an absence. If you miss a quiz or test, you must talk to me when you return to determine when to make up the assessment. If you are absent the day of a test or quiz, you are expected to take the exam the day you return. Other work missed because of absences may be made up during a time mutually convenient to the teacher and student involved. Students are expected to take the initiative in planning such a time and should do so no later than the second day following their absences from class. In the case of verified illness, or an emergency, which extends over a period of time, arrangements should be made with the teacher involved to consider a revised date. Students shall have the number of days equal to the number of days absent to turn in completed make-up work, unless a greater extension is granted by the teacher.
Academic honesty is an essential part of any school community. Marion County Public Schools seeks to promote the importance of honesty as a basis of respect and cooperation among all of its members. Academic dishonesty/cheating, in any form on a graded assignment, will not be tolerated and will result in no credit for the assignment. Examples include, but are not limited to; turning in work as your own when someone else has done all or part of the assignment, knowingly giving or receiving information about answers to homework, quizzes, or tests, and plagiarism.
- Arrive to class on time.
- Be prepared for class with the appropriate materials and completed homework.
- Be respectful of others at all times.