Mrs. Long - US Government
ASSIGNMENTS will be posted on the ASSIGNMENTS tab - please add sarcasm as needed to feel like we are in class together :)
2020 ONLINE LEARNING INFO:
Hi Everybody. I know you have lots of questions. If ever in doubt, email your teachers and ask. You need to take responsibility for you and your grades. You ARE REQUIRED to complete school work for Quarter 4. If you heard that they are just giving you a pass for Q4 that is NOT TRUE. Please check your teacher’s webpages regularly.
ATTENDANCE– we are supposed to take attendance for each class. This means on A days attendance is marked for 1, 3, 5 and CAT; B days 2, 4, 6 and CAT. Each teacher is allowed to work with attendance as they deem necessary. YOU MUST COMMUNICATE WITH ME AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK; otherwise you will be marked absent. If you are marked absent 3 times I will have to make a phone call home and report you as an attendance issue. This could jeopardize your grades/graduation/diploma.
ASSIGNMENTS – I will post assignments on my webpage. You are allowed to use google or your friends and family as resources. There is NO ONLINE TEXTBOOK for US Government. I ask that you do your best and turn in assignments on time so I can keep your grades current. If ever you have trouble with an assignment please email me. I am not expecting assignments to be “formal”. I know many of you are using cell phones as your computer – grammar and spelling are not high priority. Do your best. I would rather have something (incomplete) than nothing at all. Please remember to put your name and period number on assignments.
COMMUNICATION – I am available via email or cell phone. I will check emails as often as possible M-F 8:00 am to 3:00 pm. In the event you need to speak to me directly you can call my cell phone 352.208.2072. Please be mindful of the time when you call me. Keep call times from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm.
GRADUATION – I have no idea what will happen with the actual ceremony of graduation; however, you do have to meet certain graduation requirements. If you need a state test to graduate, those requirements have been waived. If you still needed FSA or Algebra test to graduate – you have been given a free pass. Accept the gift and now get your grades and GPA as high as possible. If you have any question regarding your eligibility to graduate please email Mr. Telford.
OJT – I have no idea what the requirement will be for OJT. I am sure that you will not be penalized if you lost your job due to the quarantine. Please check in with Mrs. Shockley to make sure you completed Q3 correctly. I think this will be the most important step in getting OJT credit.
GRAD BASH and PROM – Again, I have no idea what the plan is for these events. I have not spoken with Mrs. Miller. She is probably sending out emails with info. I am so sorry your Senior year has all this craziness going on.
United States Government (2106310)
Grade 12: 1/2 Credit
UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT
UNITS OF STUDY:
Foundations of Government; Constitution & Federalism; Civic and Political Participation; Congress; The President & Bureaucracy; The Courts & Civil Liberties; State, Local, & Comparative Governments.
Note taking materials – binder or spiral. Pen or pencil. You must have your notes with you each class. If you need assistance with obtaining materials, please see me, guidance, or discipline.
- Respect –It is expected that you treat everything and everyone in this room with respect; you will treat each person in the room with dignity and tolerance. Students whose behavior interferes with other students’ ability to learn will be removed from the classroom. This includes cell phone usage.
- Language – There is a time and place for everything; language used on television, at home, or with friends at a party is not the same language used in a classroom. If in doubt about a comment, err on the side of caution. If you have to think about it – it is probably inappropriate for the classroom.
- Dismissal - Students will be dismissed by the teacher, NOT the bell. Students will remain seated until dismissed by teacher.
- Bathroom/Hall Passes - You will be allowed to use the bathroom as necessary; however, abuse of the bathroom policy will result in loss of privileges. Bathroom and drink “business” should be taken care of between classes if possible.
- Assignments are due at the beginning of the class period on the assigned due date; otherwise a late penalty may be assessed.
- No assignments will be accepted electronically unless arrangements have been made PRIOR TO the assignment due date. Late assignment penalty – 5 points for each day it is late (including weekends and alternate school days – A day / B day).
- Grading Policy – Class Work & Quizzes 50%, Tests & Projects 40%, Homework 10% (notes & materials can be considered homework)
- Plagiarism will not be tolerated. If it is not solely your work, do not turn it in as such!
- Assignments will be posted on the classroom board; they will not be posted on my website. You can email me to receive the daily assignments if you are absent. This is not an online course and will not be treated as such. The textbook is NOT available online.
- Absences / Make-up Work
- This course will utilize a variety of approaches to facilitate the learning process, including cooperative learning, audio/visual, and various hands on techniques. Students will be provided the opportunity and are expected to become active learners in this course. Regular attendance in the class is expected. If, however, a student is absent from class, opportunity to make up any missed assignments will be provided. County policy will be followed regarding make-up work. The teacher will consult the student regarding the make-up work and assign a due date. Students who do not request make-up work will receive a grade of “0” for the work missed.
- Because I do not have the capability of re-teaching the missed lesson during class time, please see me before or after school, or during CAT time (pass required) if you have questions about your assignment.
- When a student is absent, it is his/her responsibility to obtain make-up work the first day back to class. Students who do not request make-up work will receive a grade of “0” for the work missed.
- Students are responsible for turning in any work that was due while absent immediately upon their return to class. Any assignments that were due on a day you were absent MUST be turned in the day you return to class in order to receive full credit.
- Plan to come during CAT period (pass required) to make up a missed test.
- If a test has been announced in advance, students will be expected to take the test on the assigned day. Missing a lesson review is NOT an excuse to postpone a test.
- Tardy Policy:
- Students are expected to be in the classroom and seated when the tardy bell rings; not walking through the door when the bell rings, not lingering in the hall close to the classroom when the bell rings. Any student that arrives after the bell will be marked tardy; a referral will be written on 4th
In addition to expectations listed above, ALL guidelines & rules stated in the student handbook apply.
The quickest and easiest way to contact me is via email – email@example.com