11th/12th Grade Reading
Instructor: Mrs. Natasha Murphy
Contact Information: Natasha.Murphy@marion.k12.fl.us
Reading is not only important; it's necessary. It is a tool that enables us to change our world and change ourselves. In my class, you will learn how to use reading as a tool to help you become the person you want to be. Our mantra for this year is: Never underestimate the power of YOU. As your teacher, I am going to provide you with information, advice, and techniques, but then the ball is in your court: you have the power to decide what to do with those things. I can't wait to see what you decide to do with all that power!
- Writing Utensil
- 1 Notebook
- 2 Duo-tang folders with pockets and prongs
- #2 Wooden Pencils
- 10% Homework: Reading Plus weekly sessions - 10/10 weekly assignments
- 45% Classwork / Quizzes: Vocabulary quizzes, folder checks (Reading Plus Reflection), group rotations and work within these groups (daily), bell work, weekly Reading Plus comprehension grades (2 SeeReaders due by every Wednesday night @ 80% or higher; below 80% doesn't count)
- 45% Tests/Projects: assessments (ACT/SAT Prep work), short responses, last Reading Plus comprehension grade pulled - must have 5 SeeReaders at 80% or above to count (last Sunday of every week) and 5 ReadArounds
Monday - Wednesday
- 5 minutes for Bell Work (this will be timed reading/fluency work/SAT/ACT vocab)
- 25-30 minutes Group Rotations: Computers- Reading Plus, ACT/SAT prep work, and Small Group - Direct Instruction
Thursday - Friday
- ACT practice test - 35 minutes (Reading section only)
- Group rotations, Reading Plus, ACT/SAT prep work
Students will be expected to consistently meet the WPHS expectations:
- Be on time (PROMPT)
- Bring all required materials to class (PREPARED)
- Put forth effort to attempt and complete all assignments (PRODUCTIVE)
- Listen, follow directions, treat others with respect and cooperate (POLITE)
- Students will be expected to complete all homework by the next class period.
- Assignments are due on the announced date.
- Reading Plus homework sessions are to be completed each week and are to be completed Monday to the following Sunday night before midnight for credit. You cannot make up a previous week's Reading Plus homework session.
- 2 Seereaders at 80% or higher due by EVERY Wednesday night and ALL 5 SeeReaders and 5 ReadArounds are due by EVERY Sunday night.
- Cheating or plagiarizing of any kind is not tolerated in class or at the school. If you allow others to copy your work, you are cheating. If you use Google to help with computer work, this is cheating. You will NOT receive any credit if caught cheating and you will have Power Hour detention with me to complete work needed for my class.
- If you do 7 SeeReaders @ 80% or higher each and every week of the quarter you will receive extra credit at the end of the 9 weeks.
- If you come to my classroom for 20 minutes to work on Reading Plus at least ONCE per week every week during Power Hour for ALL 9 weeks, you will get extra credit.
- This is the only extra credit I will accept and must be done for ALL 9 weeks. If you miss a week you've lost the extra credit but speak with me and maybe we can double up the following week ONLY for the Power Hour every week extra credit.
Make-Up work Procedures:
- Students will have three days after returning to class to turn in make-up work. It is the students responsibility to stop by my classroom during Power Hour and receive their make-up work. It is THEIR responsibility to see if they have missed any work. I am free during the entire Power Hour period. You can also access my teacher website during your absence or after.
Students will be tested for concept mastery at the end of each reading assignment and learning unit.
Important Reading Plus Information
Reading Plus is a very important part of the Reading classroom. Five grades per week are pulled from this program. Below is what is required to be completed each week.
Reading Plus begins Monday at midnight and ends or rolls over Monday at midnight. You have 7 days per week (Monday-Sunday) to complete the assignments. 5 SeeReaders, 5 ReadArounds, and 1 Writing are due weekly but there are certain items due on particular days of the week.
Due every Wednesday night: 2 SeeReaders at 80% or higher and ALL 5 ReadArounds. If the SeeReaders fall below 80% they do not count.
Due by EVERY Sunday night: 3 more SeeReaders at 80% or higher and 1 writing.
Reading Plus Reflection Folder: You must record your SeeReader scores and the appropriate sections that go with this in your folder daily. Two grades per quarter come from the Reading Reflection folder. Please make sure that you are filling this out daily when you complete a SeeReader.
Click login - then click student login
Site code: westporths (no caps and no spaces)
Username: student/lunch number
Password: student/lunch number