Books: HMH Collections is the textbook. Students may choose to have a hardcopy or a digital copy of the text for home use; we will have a class set in the room for class use. Literature and poetry books will be assigned according to the curriculum.
Homework: Every night students should be reading independently. In addition, students will periodically have reading assignments in order to prepare for the next day’s in class assignment. Additional homework or reading will be assigned in order to reinforce the skills learned in class. Homework will be due at various times and intervals.
Required Reading: The district’s curriculum map includes selected texts/stories/poems/speeches that the student must read in order to be prepared for classroom discussions and assignments. In addition, novels are required to be read in class and for homework. Novels are assigned by the teacher and some may be chosen by the student with teacher’s permission. Reading research shows that students, who read regularly, perform better in school and specifically on high-stakes tests.
Required Writing: Students are expected to generate and write ideas daily, write essays, and work through the writing process. Students’ writing is expected to contain school appropriate content. Parents should be aware that not all of the ideas generated by students are read by the teacher.
Make-up/late work: If a student is absent it is their responsibility to see what work was missed. The student will have one school day for every day they were absent to make up any class work or homework that was missed. Late work will be accepted at the teacher’s discretion. Points may be deducted for any work not turned in on time.
Attendance: Please remember that attendance is extremely important. More than 5 absences in a quarter are considered excessive and tend to be detrimental to student progress. Assignments are posted on the website, sent to the student’s MCPS assigned e-mail, or in the classroom. It is the student’s responsibility to keep up with any missed work. I am available before school for makeup tests/quizzes by appointment.
- (1) 2 inch hard bound three ring binder to keep assignments/writings/vocabulary
- 1 composition notebook for journal and pithy points (you may have one for each)
- (1) Box of Facial Tissue
- Notebook Paper, Pens, pencils, 4 highlighters (blue, yellow, pink, green)
- 1 bag of candy (in individual wrappers). Teacher will collect and keep for various activities.
Grades will be calculated based on the following grading scale:
90-100 = A
80-89 = B
70-79 = C
60-69 = D
59 and below = F
The class assignments will be weighted by the following percentages:
Class/Daily Assignments, Close Reading Assignments (district) 50%
TEACHER EXPECTATIONS AND STUDENTS GUIDELINES FOR BEING AN ACTIVELY ENGAGED LEARNER
- Pay attention to the person speaking
- No side bar conversations
- Respectful responses even if you disagree
- Share relevant examples
- Do not monopolize the conversation
- Encourage others to speak up
- Any type of electronic equipment must be turned off and put away in a purse or backpack before entering the classroom. Purses and backpacks should not obstruct the desk or the teacher’s view of the student‘s hands or the classroom and should be placed under the desk or on the floor.
- Only water in a clear plastic bottle is permitted. Food may be permitted based upon teacher discretion and for documented medical reasons.
- Students are to remain seated in preparation for dismissal. Students are not allowed to congregate at the door.
- All returned and graded work should be stored in a binder. Classroom handouts must be stored in binder for use in classroom assignments and quizzes and tests.
- Only one student at a time is allowed to be out of the class with the restroom pass. Students should minimize loss of instructional time by using the restroom during class change. The teacher may not be able to repeat or reteach information while the student is out of the classroom.
From time to time we have projects where we use various media and images. If you do not want your student image used for classroom activities, you must inform the teacher.
*Syllabus and requirements may be adjusted and altered as deemed necessary*