Introduction to Information Technology Hybrid Course
Lake Weir High School (352) 671-4820 - Michael.Fronius@marion.k12.fl.us - 2016-2017
This course is designed to provide an introduction to information technology concepts and careers as well as the impact information technology has on the world, people, and industry and basic web design concepts. The content includes information technology career research; operating systems and software applications; electronic communications including e-mail and Internet services; basic HTML, DHTML, and XML web commands and design; emerging technologies, and Web page design.
This is a hybrid course which means students will receive both online and classroom content and assignments. This course meets the requirements for the practical arts credit and online credit which are both needed for graduation.
Students will participate in lessons to reinforce skills needed for SAT, ACT, and Florida State standards of reading and writing for college and work readiness. This class will help students refine their reading, writing and proof reading skills, develop record keeping skills, learn about ethics, employability skills and how to use Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, the Internet, and other software.
COURSE TOPICS/UNITS AND DATES: (by nine week period)
- 1st nine weeks: Keyboarding, MS Word Ethics in Computing, E-mail and Internet Communications, and Operating Systems
- 2nd nine weeks: Internet and MS Office(Word, Excel, PowerPoint & Access)
- 3rd nine weeks: Web Design and Information Technology
- 4th nine weeks: Networks, Software Applications, and Careers
A letter grade system (A, B, C, D, F) is used in this course. The course component weights are:
- 55% Authenticated tasks, projects and tests
- 35% Class assignments (including but not limited to: written responses, discussions, group work, and quizzes)
- 10% Homework, participation, and notebook checks
LATE ASSIGNMENT POLICY:
Assignments, Tests and Projects are due on their assigned due date. Students are given one day for every day absent from the class to complete missed assignments. Late work will not be accepted unless it is due to absence.
COURSE COMPONENT SPECIFICS:
- Ample time will be given in class to complete class work.
- If the student is absent, it is the student’s responsibility to make arrangements with the instructor for make-up work.
- Each student is responsible for maintaining their class assignment files to ensure they are completed and submitted for grading.
- Academic success in the course requires active involvement in daily class activities. The Authentic Tasks build upon one another so it is important not to miss any classes. The in-class demonstrations are an important component to learning the software needed to complete the projects. Again, it is in the student’s best interest not to miss any classes.
- Students will use their H: drive to save their work and manage their course files.
- This course enforces the Lake Weir High School tardy policy found in the Student Code of Conduct.
- Academic honesty is expected for all print, computer and online components of this course. Students must show progress on their projects during class time and all projects must be completed in class. Students cannot share/give their work to another student to turn in as their own.
CLASSROOM RULES OF CONDUCT:
- Arrive on Time and be in your seat ready to work when the bell rings. Stay seated until the bell rings.
- Respect others, your teacher, classroom materials, and all property (school property & personal property)
- Follow instructions the first time they are given.
- Turn off and put away cell phones and personal electronic devices while in class.
- In class, Students are only allowed to use teacher designated programs which are related to the course.
- Students defacing school property, exploring inappropriate websites, or interacting with computer components abusively, will be given alternative assignments.
- No Food or Drink allowed in the classroom.
Introduction to Information Technology Mr. Fronius Lake Weir High School 2016-2017
Please complete and return the signed copy of this portion of the syllabus.
My signature below indicates that I have read and understand this syllabus and have been given a copy of my own to keep. A copy of this syllabus will also be available at the instructor’s Lake Weir High School faculty webpage.
Print Student Name Student Signature Date
Print Parent/Guardian Name Parent/Guardian Signature Date