Miss Marquez 5th Grade Syllabus
Miss Marquez de Smith
Office Hours: 2:30-3:00 T-Th
-Available by appointment
- Social Studies
The Big Three:
- Do what’s right
- Do your best
- Treat others the way you want to be treated
This year, it is my goal to help you grow academically, emotionally and socially. I will treat you with respect, compassion, and enthusiasm in all areas of education and character building. In turn, I expect them same from you towards me as well as towards your classmates. I believe honesty, consistency and integrity will help you reach your life long goals.
Table of Contents
- Student Expectations
- P.B.S (Behavior System)
- “How To”s
- Dress Code & Personal Hygiene
- You will be expected to adhere to Horizon Academy’s dress code: Polo tucked in, pants with belt, & appropriate shoes
- There will be a parent & student resource room to aid in this policy
- You will be expected to be sanitary in all facets of school life, including but not limited to: Bathroom, lunchroom, PE, & classroom
- Classroom Conduct
- Door holder for each & every enter & exit of a room
- Polite conversation with all adults & peers: “Please & Thank you”, “Excuse me”, “Mr. & Mrs.”, and etc.
- Proper Center behavior: No running, pushing, or improper language
- Supportive & constructive language towards peers: “Great job!”, “I like the way you did that problem” (Zero tolerance toward negative words or bullying of other students in the learning environment)
- 1 spiral notebook
- 1 composition notebook
- Pencils and 2 red pens
- 2 packages Index cards
- 2 Sticky notes
- 3 packages notebook Paper
- Scissor, ruler, glue sticks, colored pencils, crayons
- 2 boxes tissues, 1 large hand sanitizer, 1 box gallon baggies (Girls), 1 box sandwich baggies (Boys)
Note: We will have lunch early therefore we plan to have a snack in the afternoon. If you are able, please send enough snacks for the entire class. (Individually wrapped snacks and juice boxes) Currently we have a count of 20 students.
Rules & Behaviors:
PBS: We will explain the school’s behavior system.
I will follow the school’s plan and we will discuss what these mean and what I expect. If we adhere to the big three we will create the best classroom in the school.
Time-out procedure: Our behavior system will be a zero tolerance toward the disruption of our positive & fun learning environment. We will have plenty of time to have fun throughout the school year! If, however, we run into problems this is how they will be handled:
- We will keep a class log of incidents, to be signed by students when we run into problems, a parent notification will promptly follow each incident log.
- In the rare case, and I mean rare, a timeout desk will be utilized, where the student will write a reflective essay about the incident.
- This is a no bully classroom & school!
If we all follow the big three, we will have a wonderful year. (I will be contacting parents throughout the year for the good & the bad!)
The district has adopted a no homework policy for math and social studies. However, if your student is not performing well or is not producing in class, we will schedule a parent teacher student lead conference to discuss your student’s performance. If at this time we as a team determine that it is in your student’s best interest to institute a home practice policy we will do so.
7:55 - 8:00 Homeroom
8:10 - 8:30 Computer Lab
8:30 - 9:05 Morning Group Social Studies
9:05 - 10:40 Morning Group Math (pack up and drop off bookbags in Ms. Arrendell's class on way to Lunch)
10:40 - 11:10 Lunch
11:10 - 11:30 Recess
11:30 - 12:10 Afternoon Group Social Studies
12:10 - 12:50 Specials: (Mon - Art, Tues/Wed/Thur - PE, Fri - Music)
12:50 - 2:20 Afternoon Group Math