6th GRADE ENGLISH LANGUAGE ARTS SYLLABUS
Mrs. T. Galloway
Phone :352-671-6035 ext. 56256
Google Voice - will receive a phone call with information
LANGUAGE ARTS COURSE DESCRIPTION
In Sixth Grade Language Arts, students will be challenged to improve skills in reading, writing, and oral communication. During this school year we will be attempting to have a paperless classroom by learning how to use the Microsoft TEAMS online platform to communicate and complete coursework.
- Every student is expected to complete their course work and submit it on time. Most of what we do in this class will be online in the TEAMS platform so even if you are absent, you can still access your course work and do it. Incomplete classwork will be assigned for homework. Assignments are located online therefore, students will be able to access their work outside of school if they need to.
- You will be required to complete one bell work assignment, classwork, and a daily reflection/exit journal every single day. You will be required to read a book of after your classwork has been completed. Daily homework includes reading the assigned book and completing a reading log. You are required to turn in a book report summary sheet every week.
PLAGIARISM AND CHEATING
It is important to understand the difference between “helping” and “cheating,” as well as when it is permitted to work together. Students may copy individual entries from another student’s planner when absent; however it is not permissible to copy another’s entries for multiple weeks. Students may work together to complete most homework and class assignments, however copying another’s answers is not permissible. The general rule of thumb for assignments is that working together or explaining how to do something is helping. Giving another student a “free ride” without contributing to the assignment is cheating. Quizzes and tests are not cooperative assignments, and it is cheating to assist another student with their quiz or test.
CLASSROOM PROCEDURES AND EXPECTATIONS
- Enter the classroom QUIETLY, get your supplies out, place your backpack in your cubicle or under your chair, and begin your bell work assignment.
- NO ELECTRONICS!
- STAY in YOUR assigned seat!
- When the classroom phone rings or an announcement is being made over the intercom YOU ARE SILENT
- Keep your hands, feet, etc. TO YOURSELF!
- If it is not yours, DO NOT TOUCH IT!
- Be RESPECTFUL of your teacher AND your classmates. NO talking when someone else is talking.
- You may have a clear water bottle in class. Your water bottle MUST have a lid. No food, drinks, (except a clear, plastic water bottle with a lid), gum, or candy allowed in class.
- The last few minutes of class you are expected to clean up your work area (this includes the floor around you). Remain in your chair until the bell rings to dismiss you.
Grades are broken down into three main components. Your overall course grade will consist of an average of the three components, which are as follows:
- Homework 10%
- Class/Daily Assignments, Quizzes- 40%
- Tests, Projects, and Presentation- 50%
A- 100%- 90%
B- 89%- 80%
C- 79%- 70%
D- 69%- 60%
F- 59%- 0%
LANGAUGE ARTS REQUIRED MATERIALS
- Text Books: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt (available online as e-book)
- Student planner/agenda (provided by NMMS)
- 2 duo tang folders (pockets and clips)
- notebook paper
- Pencils with erasers
- Composition notebook
- Personal headphones
- Colored pencils
- Glue stick
- Pocket sanitizer
- Dry erase marker
Dear 6th Grade ELA Parents/Guardians
This course is designed to challenge students to think critically and to apply what they have learned in class to become dynamic, fluent writers. Please encourage them to proofread carefully, use vivid vocabulary, and focus on content rather than length of written assignments. I look forward to working with you and your child this year.
I have read and understand Mrs. Galloway’s sixth grade Language Arts syllabus. I agree to follow these rules and expectations.
Child’s Name: _____________________________________Period________________
Student Signature: _________________________________Date __________________
Parent Signature: __________________________________Date __________________