Language Arts Syllabus
Mrs. Terri Galloway Lyons
Telephone: 352-671-6035 Ext 56256
Remind Application: Text message 81010 @NMMS56256
Language Arts Objective
In Sixth Grade Language Arts, students will be challenged to improve skills in reading, composition, oral communication, and logical argument. The grammatical, mechanical and syntactical skills of language are taught within the meaningful context of the writing process. Extensive in and out of class reading, class discussions, and a variety of writing experiences will be required.
Make-up Work Procedures
If you are absent, you will have the number of days absent to make up work. I am available one day after school for students who would like to make up missed work. Parents need to contact me in writing to make arrangements.
Required Daily Materials
Duo tang Folder
2 Compositon books
Pencils with erasers
personal ear buds
1st period - Highlighters
2nd period - red, green or purple pens
3rd period - bottle of glue
4th period - Kleenex
5th period - sandwich bags
6th period – bottle of glue
1.) Enter the classroom quietly.
2.) Turn in homework and sharpen pencils.
3.) Quietly complete Bell Work.
1) Keep hands, feet, and objects to yourself.
2) No food, drinks or gum.
3) Remain in your seat and work quietly.
4) Respect yourself and others.
5.) Always do your BEST.
If a student breaks a rule stated above, the following consequences will occur:
1) Verbal warning
2) Time Out (parent notified)
3) Time Out in another class (parent notified)
4) Time Out in another class (parent notified)
5) Dean Referral
Class Work, Quizzes 50%
Tests, Projects, and Presentations 45%
A = 90-100
B = 80-89
C = 70-79
D = 60-69
F = 59 and below
- Homework will be assigned weekly. Homework will help reinforce skills we are working on in class. Homework will also consist of incomplete classwork.
- Class work – will be completed in their interactive notebook and will be submitted when requested by teacher. Late classwork will be reduced 10 points for each day late.
- Projects are creative extensions from literature and writing assignments that will include performances, essays, and speeches.
- Quizzes will generally assess mastery of essential skills taught during the unit.
- Tests will assess reading comprehension, writing fluency, as well as grammar progress.
WHAT IS REMIND AND WHY IS IT SAFE? Remind is a free, safe, and messaging tool that helps teachers share
homework and classwork assignments with students & parents. Text number 81010 with the message @NMMS56256