8th Grade Physical Science
Nature of Science - August/September
Essential Questions What is required to carry out a valid scientific investigation?
- What is the purpose of a hypothesis... and how are hypotheses formed?
- Why is it important to have only one test variable?
- Why are precise measurements and accurate record keeping essential to scientific investigation?
- Why is repetition important?
Nature of Matter September/October
Essential Question: What determines the properties of matter?
- What is 'Atomic Theory' and how has it changed over time?
- What particles make up atoms? How are they similar and how are they different?
- What is the relationship between the properties and behavior of atoms and the periodid table?
Changes in matter October/November/December(End of first Semester)
Essential question: How can changes in matter be explained or predicted by their individual chemical and physical properties?
- What happens to particles in substances during chemical changes... What happens during physical changes?
- How does density affect the behavior of matter?
- What happens to the mass of a substance when it goes through a chemical or physical change?
- What are some different ways to measure the power of SOLUTIONS?
Force and Motion January
Essential Questions: How does a combination of forces upon an object affect its motion?
- How can graphs represent motion?
- How do balanced and unbalanced forces affect an object's motion?
- How do contact and noncontact forces interact with objects?
- What is the relationship between the two factors in the Law of Universal Gravitation?
Essential Questions: How do we determine that energy exists in our everyday lives?
- What is the relationship between potential and kinetic energy?
- What are the various forms of energy and what are the similarities and differences among those forms?
- What is hte role of energy transformation in the Law of Conservation of Energy?
- How does heat flow affect the temperature of objects?
Waves, Sound, and Light March/April
Essential Questions: what is the relationship between a wave's properties and its behavior?
- How are electromagnetic and mechanical similar, and how are they different? (compare and contrast)
- How does a wave's properties illustrate the energy of a wave?
- How does the MEDIUM of travel affect the behavior of waves?
- How do a wave's properties related to location on the electromagnetic spectrum?
- What happens to light waves as they are absorbed, refracted, or reflected?
- How do the properties of a sound wave changes as its pitch or volume changes?
Review for FCAT April
Review for LEOCE May