Osceola Middle School
Wellness Department 2017-2018
The OMS Wellness Department would like to offer your child a guide to a healthier way of life. This course is taught under the guidelines found in the Florida Standards incorporating the components of health and physical education. Through a variety of physical activities, your child will become knowledgeable in determining future health and well-being habits.
Starting Monday, August 21st, students are expected to be dressed out in any physical education uniform and participate to their best ability. The appropriate physical education uniform consists of a plain, solid white or gray tee shirt, blue or black athletic shorts (mid-thigh length), and athletic shoes. Uniforms may be purchased through PE Dept. for $15.00 and will include lock and locker. During cold weather months, students may layer a sweatshirt, sweat pants and jackets (any colors) over their uniform.
If a student wears alternative uniform (store bought), they may rent a lock and locker for $3.00 a year. It is expected that students secure their possessions during PE. The PE department is not responsible for lost or stolen items. Any combination lock not returned by the student at the end of the year, will be assessed a replacement fee of $5.50. Unauthorized sharing of lockers is not permitted.
In order for your child to be safe and successful in this course, they must adhere to the following rules and procedures:
- For safety, no gum, food, or foreign objects in mouth during PE classes.
- Participate through-out the entire activity.
- Display good sportsmanship at all times.
- Arrive on time and be prepared for class with your proper uniform and shoes.
- Display appropriate locker room behavior. Students may not use aerosol sprays of any kind in locker rooms.
- Students must dress-out and participate unless a Doctor’s note is presented. Students with an illness/physical problem may be required to do an alternate assignment in order to receive credit*. Students without a doctor’s note must dress-out. If a student is well enough to be in school, that student is well enough to dress-out. Their activity level may be modified depending upon their physical ability due to illness.
- Cell phones may not be used during PE or in the locker rooms, ever. They should be locked up and out of sight at all times; even during after school events and practices.
- Students who do not dress-out may participate or walk the track. They can earn 8 of 10 points. If student refuses to participate; a “0” will be given for the daily grade.
Student assessments will be based on a daily grade which includes dressing out and participating in physical activities (70%), quizzes (20%), skills tests/projects (10%), and a written semester exam.
If for any reason you need to contact your child’s teacher, please feel free to e-mail email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org or call the school at 671-7100. Be sure to check our web-pages, too. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation. We look forward to an exciting year.
Please sign and have your child return entire form to their PE instructor. Do not cut or tear this form.
Student signature ___________________________________________ Grade:_____
*IF YOUR CHILD HAS ANY PHYSICAL LIMITATIONS, PLEASE NOTIFY US ON THE BACK OF THIS FORM.