- Refer to parts of stories, dramas, and poems when writing or speaking about a text, using terms such as chapter, scene, and stanza; describe how each successive part builds on earlier sections.
- Distinguish their own point of view from that of the narrator or those of the characters.
- Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, distinguishing literal from nonliteral language.
- Form and use regular and irregular verbs.
- Form and use the simple (e.g., I walked; I walk; I will walk) verb tenses.
- Use glossaries or beginning dictionaries, both print and digital, to determine or clarify the precise meaning of key words and phrases
- Acquire and use accurately conversational, general academic, and domain specific words and phrases as found in grade appropriate texts, including those that signal spatial and temporal relationships (e.g., After dinner that night we went looking for them).
- Expository and Informative Writing
Top Score Writing Format for Expository Writing
R1 a. b.
R2 a. b.
R3 a. b.
I and C are the topic. R1,R2,R3 are the reasons for the topic. A and B are the details.
For example, my favorite place to visit is Disney world. My planning page would look like this
I Disney World
R1 Parks A. Magic Kingdom B. Hollywood Studios
R2 Characters A. Minnie Mouse B. Princesses
R3 Rides A. Space Mountain B. Dumbo
C Disney World
Do you have a favorite place you like to visit? My favorite place that I like to visit is Disney World because they have great parks, you can meet characters, and the rides are fun. Disney World is such a magical place.
Reason paragraphs should have a topic sentence. 3 sentences about A and 3 sentences about B. Here is an example
To begin, Disney world has so many parks that you can visit. The Magic Kingdom is one of the most popular parks that people visit when they go to Disney World. Magic Kingdom has different lands that each have so many rides and things to do. You can see Fantasy Land, Adventure Land, and Tomorrow Land. Another park that I like to visit is Hollywood Studios. At Hollywood studies you can see how some movies were made. They even have a new section called Toy Story Mania.
We have also learned how to write the conculsion paragraph. Conculsion paragraphs should 1. restate the three reasons 2. have a thought or feeling sentence. 3. Have an ending sentence.
As you can see, parks, characters, and rides make Disney World my favorite place to visit. There is no greater feeling in the world than being at Disney World. Dreams really do come true at Disney World.
Below you will find some websites to assist your child ELA.