The mission of the Legacy Elementary Media program is to ensure that students and staff are effective users of ideas and information, to provide resources and instruction to support the curriculum, and to promote a lifelong love of reading.
- Each student in 1st and 2nd grade may check out one book for a week.
- Students in 3rd through 5th grade may check out two books for as long as two weeks.
- Students may renew books for an additional week.
- Students may also check out up to five eBooks from Follett Shelf. These books will be automatically returned after five days.
- There are no fines for overdue materials.
- Encyclopedias and other reference books may not be checked out by students. They remain in the media center for everyone to use.
Gifts are always appreciated. They may be added to the media center collection, given to teachers or students, or donated to the public library.
The Spring Book Fair will be opened on April 3-7th.
TV Broadcast Studio- Our studio televises live announcements each morning. Students operate the show with supervision from the media specialist. To be chosen as part of the television crew, students must display positive attitudes, be responsible, and have good attendance and good grades.
State Young Readers' Award
The Sunshine State Young Readers' Award program presents a variety of fifteen books chosen each year by a committee of Florida librarians. The fifteen books are chosen for their quality and appeal, and represent some of the best books in children's literature today. Students in grades 3 through 5 are encouraged to read at least three of the books so that they can participate in a statewide vote to elect their favorite SSYRA book. Every year, the author of the book with the most statewide votes is presented with the Sunshine State Young Readers' Award.
If students read three SSYRA books, they will be invited to a “Sunshine Celebration” in the spring. If students read 13 or more SSYRA books, they are also qualified to try out for the Legacy Book Bowl Team.
Media Center Hours
7:20 - 3:00 -- Media Center open
7:45 -- Morning News Show
2:05 - 3:00 -- Planning/Teacher Services