Guidance & Counseling Office
Welcome to the Guidance Office! Elementary Guidance consists of working with students, parents, teachers, school administrators, and other professionals to help children develop academically, personally, and socially.
Please call if we can be of service at 352-291-4086. Guidance Hours are from 7:30AM to 3:15PM.
Goals of Elementary School Counselor
- Help children understand themselves and others
- Help to identify children with special needs
- Provide crisis intervention in times of personal/family stress
- Develop plans to prevent academic/behavioral problems
- Coordinate the efforts of other professionals working for children
- Provide orientation for children coming to school for the first time
Services Offered by your Counselor
- Consulting with teachers, parents administrators, and other professionals about resources, programs, individual and/or family problems
- Listening to students to help them to resolve conflicts
- Helping parents understand how to help their children achieve their fullest academic, social and personal potential
- Referring students to other school professionals such as the school psychologist and social worker.
- Explaining academic test results to help parents and teachers to use the information appropriately
- Teaching students about themselves, their feelings, growing up, the consequences of choices they make and encouraging more positive life management skills
- Coordinating the referral process for children who may need placement in a special program offered by the school
Your Counselor will work with students:
- Individually, when referred by a parent, teacher, or when a child self-refers themselves to discuss problems and how to attempt to solve them,
- In small groups, when children share a similar problem or need work in a socialization skill,
- In whole classes to help children understand others,
- Improve communication skills and learn to cooperate and solve problems together
Your Counselor will work with parents:
- Attending parent/teacher conferences to share and exchange information and helpful strategies
- Offering individual consultation to help parents understand ways they can help their child both at home and school
Several other helpful individuals located in our guidance department are Information Processing Assistant Judy Winkler and Guidance Clerk Melinda Clemons.
The following information should provide you with a better understanding of the role of the guidance personnel. The information will also help you and your child support the work done by the counselor.
Parents are encouraged to call the school if they have health concerns regarding their child. The visiting health nurse provides health counseling, health education, and assistance with medical referrals and necessary follow-up.
In case of a health emergency, “911” (emergency medical services) will be called and the parent/guardian will be notified immediately. In the event the parent/guardian cannot be reached, the person designated by the parent/guardian to call “in case of emergency” will be notified.
During the school year, all students are eligible to participate in certain health services. Health screenings including, but not limited to, vision, hearing, and scoliosis will be conducted at various grade levels. Parents will be notified if these screenings indicate need for follow-up. If a parent does not wish for his/her child to participate in health screenings, they should send a written note to the principal on a yearly basis requesting their child be excluded from participation.
Health services begin the first week of school.
School health insurance forms are available upon request in the main office.
Registration: Click here to view county procedure.
All new students must be registered at Shady Hill.We have a required registration packet that will need to be completed and submitted the day prior to the child starting at the school.Office clerks are familiar with the registration requirements and may assist you with any questions.
- Certified birth certificate
- Florida physical (dated one year prior to 1st day of school)
- Florida blue immunization form
- Social Security card (requested by not required)
- Proof of residence (lease/mortgage and electricity bill)
- Completed registration packet
AttendanceIf your child is ill and will not be attending school, please call our office before eleven in the morning. We will inform your child’s teacher.Please remember that all absences must be followed up by a written excuse on the child’s first day back to school.Tardy children are required to report to Guidance for a tardy slip in order to be admitted to their classroom.
Your child’s cumulative records are housed in the Guidance Office.If you need to review any information in your child’s folder, please call for an appointment so that someone may go over its contents with you.If you would like copies made of documents in your child’s folder, please call in advance and we will have it ready for you to pick up as soon as possible for a cost of 15¢ per page.If you are transferring out of ShadyHill, we will forward all documents to your child’s new school upon request from receiving school.