Welcome to the Library Media Center
Mr. McClain, Library Media Specialist
The mission of the Romeo Elementary Media program is to ensure that the students and staff are effective users of ideas and information. This is accomplished by providing intellectual and physical access to materials in all formats; by providing instruction to foster competence and stimulate interest in reading, viewing, and using information and ideas; and by working with other educators to design learning strategies to meet every child's needs.
MEDIA CENTER NEWS
Students in grades 3-5 across Florida voted for their favorite Sunshine State Young Readers' Award book.
Announcing the 2018- 2019 SSYRA Winner
MEDIA CENTER HOURS
Closed untill we return to school:
Please do not try to return books untill we can return to school.
- Each student in Kindergarten through second grade may check out one book at a time for up to one week.
- Each student in grades three, four, and five may check out two books at a time for up to two weeks.
- A student may renew a book one time for another two weeks if the book has not been requested by another person.
- There are no fines for overdue materials.
- Students may not check out materials if they have not returned overdue books. If a student owes money for a lost or damaged book, he or she may check out only paperback books until the matter has been resolved.
Reference books may not be checked out by students. They remain in the media center for everyone to use.
Gifts are always appreciated. They may be added to the media center collection, given to teachers, or donated to the public library.
TV Broadcast Studio (WPKN -- Pioneer Kids' Network) - Our studio televises live announcements each morning. Student recognition is featured including Honor Roll and Terrific Kids. Students operate the entire show with supervision from the media specialist. The crew consists of anchors, camera and sound technicians, announcers, video mixer, and assistants. The show is recorded every day and a link to watch is added to DOJO.
- Fall Book Fair
- Spring Book Fair
WPKN NEWS SHOW
Every school day morning, a special group of fifth graders get together. These fifth graders create a morning news show for Romeo Elementary School. That morning show is called WPKN -- Pioneer Kids' Network. The purpose of our show is to let the school know about daily and future happenings and schedules.
If your class is doing something special, let Mr. McClain know, and He will try to feature your class on the show! If you are a fifth grader, you too can be on the WPKN Morning News.
They look for students who have the following qualities:
- Positive attitude
- Good attendance
- Good grades
SUNSHINE YOUNG READERS' AWARD
The Sunshine State Young Readers' Award program presents a group of fifteen books chosen each year by a committee of Florida librarians. They are chosen for their quality and appeal, and represent some of the best in children's literature today. Students in grades 3 through 5 are encouraged to read at least three of the books, so they can vote for their favorite. Every year, the author of the book with the most statewide votes is presented with the Sunshine State Young Readers' Award.
FRA BOOK AWARD
The FRA Children's Book Award is a program sponsored by the Florida Reading Association and is for students in Pre-K through second grade. Students read or have read to them eight quality books, and then vote on their favorite book. The votes are tallied at the state level, and the author of the winning book receives recognition.
Students in Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten, first grade and second grade have the opportunity to read or listen to recent literature that is considered the best in the state. Students also learn about the importance of voting.
- Poetry for Kids - a fun place for poetry and laughs!
- Seussville - it's, well, diffendooferous!
- Discovery Online
- Gale Databases
- Florida Electronic Library - portal for students to digital collections about Florida, Gale databases, and live chat with a librarian.
- Ocala Public Library
- Sunshine State Young Readers Program
- Kids Astronomy - A fun, interactive site for children to learn about space and the solar system.