About our School

  • VISION STATEMENT

    Dr. N. H. Jones, where every child will achieve academic excellence.

    MISSION STATEMENT

    Our mission at Dr. N.H. Jones is to create an innovative learning environment where all students are enriched through Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics.

     

    LINKS AND DOCUMENTS

     

    BIOGRAPHY OF DR. JONES

    Dr. Nathaniel Hawthorne Jones: Nathaniel Hawthorne Jones was born in Live Oak in 1897, the son of William and Mellie Mattor Jones.  He graduated from Florida Memorial College (now Florida Memorial University), Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia, and in 1926 he earned his medical degree from Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tennessee.  Two years later, he began practicing medicine in Ocala, Florida, where he opened his practice on W. Broadway Street.

     

    Dr. Jones was the first Black doctor to become a staff physician at Munroe Memorial Hospital.  He was the good friend of Herbert S. Coleman Sr., a teacher and principal for Marion County Public Schools from 1940 to 1975.  Jones was a much beloved member of the community and was sadly killed during a home invasion.  Dr. N. H. Jones Elementary is named in honor of his memory.


    SCHOOL PROFILE AND HISTORY

    Dr. N. H. Jones was originally opened in 1960 as a neighborhood school, NH Jones Upper Elementary. It partnered with College Park Elementary School by housing grades third through fifth while College Park housed grades kindergarten through second. In 1994 the school board created Dr. N. H. Jones to a magnet school focusing on mathematics, science and technology. Mrs. Lynn Glanzer was hired as principal to open the magnet school. After spending countless hours visiting schools and the neighbors, the doors opened with about 425 students. Mrs. Glazer was the principal for about three years until she was asked to open Saddlewood Elementary School. Mrs. Rebecca Gerald was hired to replace her and served as principal for two years. From July 2001 to June 2012  Mr. George D. Raymond was the principal. Mrs. Cheryl Laffey was hired to replace him in June 2012. She retired in February 2016. Our current principal is Dawana Gary.

     

    The magnet school was fitted with five student computers for every classroom.  Teachers use the technology as a regular part of their daily instruction. Students utilize technology to develop Power Point presentations, to do written documents, to do research and reports, as well as to develop media productions. A science lab was developed to be part of the weekly instruction that students receive. Students go to the lab to learn about and to utilize the scientific method to learn about their world. Students learn to work cooperatively in an inquiry approach to science. A computer lab was outfitted to teach students how to utilize the many programs available at the school. This approach has been changing; the lab is now used to support what is going on in the classroom with students learning to use computers to complete projects assigned by the homeroom teacher.

     

    Since its opening the population has grown to about 745 students in grades kindergarten - fifth grade. Two new classroom buildings have been added as well as a new cafeteria and stage. A self-contained program for highly gifted children has been added and expanded to two classrooms. Students need to be highly motivated, have a full scale IQ of 140 or above, have stainine scores of 7-9 and no grades below a C. Students in grades 2-5 may be considered for this program.

     

    Media production has become a mainstay of the school with students usually taking the majority of the county elementary school awards, usually a dozen state awards and 1 - 5 international awards. Students at all grade levels take part in the media production program.  Dr. N. H. Jones was named an Apple Distinguished school for the 2011 school year and again in 2012.  We were one of 29 schools named nationally for this honor.  The award was a new program started in 2011.

     

    Dr. N. H. Jones has maintained a grade of "A" for the past ten years and has made AYP every year. Dr. N. H. Jones was named as a National Blue Ribbon School in 2005, one of only 13 in the state of Florida and the only school in Marion County to ever receive this honor.  We were also named a Blue Ribbon School in 2011, the only public school in the state of Florida.  School can not be named a Blue Ribbon School for five years after receiving the honor so this was like winning back to back awards.


    BUSINESS PARTNERS 


    CONTACT INFORMATION

    The school numbers are as follows:
    • Main number 671-7260
    • Guidance 671-7261
    • Cafeteria 671-6991
    • Fax 671-7266
    • Extended day 671-6990 (K-2)
    • Extended day 671-4149 (3-5)
    • School Board 671-7700
    • Transportation 671-4945
    • Abuse Hotline 1-800-342-8152
    • Save-A-Friend Hotline 1-877-7FRIEND

    SCHOOL COLORS AND MASCOT

    Dr. N. H. Jones' school colors are gold and blue.

     

    Our mascot is the panther.

    Panther Logo