Welcome to the Library Media Center
The Library is open to students and parents from 9:15 a.m. to 3:35 p.m.
Ms. Quaid: Library Media Specialist Mrs. Sobeck: Library Media Assistant
Click here or enter your search below to find books in our library.
Search the Gale Databases - Look for magazine articles, reference book articles, and more.
Visit the Reading Coner for information on how to choose a great book, book reviews/recommendations, The Florida Department of Education's Just Take 20 initiative, and more!
Click here to suggest books for the Media Center.
To search for library items using Destiny Online Catalog, please click on the following link: Catalog
To search for online magazine articles, newspaper articles, and digital reference books, please click on the following link: Gale Databases
To search for general background information on a variety of topics, please click on the following link: WorldBook Online
HMS has over 100 eBooks available to students 24/7. To search for eBooks, please click on the following link: eBooks.
eBooks may be viewed on a PC, iPad, Android Tablet, or Kindle Fire. To use eBooks on an iPad or Android, download the free Follett BryteWave app.
When asked for the school's URL, enter wbb05997.follettshelf.com. Login using your school username and password.
Florida Electronic Library
Florida Electronic Library is your gateway to online magazine articles, newspaper articles, and books. Just enter your public library card number to access. Below are some of the many resources provided.
- LitFinder covers all time periods and contains a wealth of primary literature content, including full-text poems, short stories, essays, speeches, and plays.
- Informe This electronic resource provides access to full text of popular Hispanic magazines. Other features include a thesaurus and title annotations in both English and Spanish.
- Gale Virtual Reference Library a database of encyclopedias and specialized reference sources for multidisciplinary research. These reference materials once were accessible only in the library, but now you can access them online from the library or remotely 24/7.
- Marion County Public Library System
- EasyBib Free bibliography generator
- Science Buddies Science Fair Project Guide
- Good Reads The world's largest site for readers and book recommendations.
- Newberry Medal and Honor Books The annual award for the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children.
- ALSC Book & Media Awards ALA's Association of Library Services to Children
Sunshine State Young Reader's Award
The Sunshine State Young Readers' Award program presents fifteen books chosen each year by a committee of Florida librarians. They are chosen for their quality and appeal, and represent some of the best in children's literature today. Students in grades 6 through 8 are encouraged to read at least three of the books, so they can vote for their favorite. Every year, the author of the book with the most statewide votes is presented with the Sunshine State Young Readers' Award.
SSYRA Book List for 2018 - 2019
Welcome to the HMS Research Guide - Congratulations, your teacher has assigned you a research project! Don’t panic. Research can be fun. You’ve probably researched questions many times without ever realizing it.
Research is a life skill. We are always seeking information. What MP3 player should you buy? Which book should you read next? A researcher looks for as many different, reliable sources as possible, takes notes, asks questions, consults additional sources, and develops a point of view based upon all of the information found.
The following guide, HMS Media Center Research Guide is based on the FINDS Florida Research Model. FINDS breaks down the research process into five steps. Follow the five steps listed below and you’ll be on your way to success!
F - focus, find your topic
I - investigate, look for the information, putting it in your own words
N - notes, take notes from the information, putting it in your own words
D - develop your paper/project based on directions from your teacher
S - score, based on your teacher's requirements, make sure you have all the components before you turn it in.
Click on the following link for the online FINDS graphic organizer
After opening the organizer, make a copy on your Google Drive so you can edit.