About our School
Good is not enough when better is possible and better is a neverending quest!
The mission of Horizon Academy is to nurture the development of responsible, thoughtful citizens for life in an increasingly reliant global society by creating environments in which students are challenged to achieve more, to be creative, and to actively participate in and be accountable for their learning.
- People are responsible for their own choices.
- An environment of high expectations results in higher achievement.
- Great schools are built on mutual respect and dignity for all people.
- Integrity is essential to creating and sustaining positive relationships.
- Our diversity contributes to the strength of our school.
- Life-long learning is essential to success.
- Cooperation, Collaboration, Communication and Creativity are the building blocks to a great school.
- Service to others is a life-long responsibility.
SCHOOL PROFILE AND HISTORY
Horizon Academy at Marion Oaks, located at 365 Marion Oaks Drive south of Ocala, is the first school in Marion County built with half-cent sales tax dollars. It opened its doors to fourth and fifth graders on January 3, 2006 and to sixth, seventh, and eighth graders on August 18, 2008. Currently, Horizon Academy is a 5-8 school. The facility features 57 academic classrooms in three two-story buildings. Using a learning "community" concept, students have a cafeteria, gymnasium, music suite, and media center. Administrative offices at the front and center of campus round out the 180,000-square-foot facility.
SCHOOL COLORS AND MASCOT
Horizon Academy's school colors are black and gold. Our mascot is the Hawk. Go Hawks!