About our School
Good is not enough when better is possible.
Empower all students with the knowledge, skills, compassion, and integrity needed to contribute and succeed as self-directed, life-long learners in a competitive global community.
- People are responsible for their own choices
- An environment of high expectations results in higher achievement
- Great schools are built on mutual respect and dignity for all people
- Integrity is essential to creating and sustaining positive relationships
- Our diversity contributes to the strength of our school
- Life-long learning is essential to success
- Cooperation, Collaboration, Communication and Commitment are the building blocks to a great school
Service to others is a life-long responsibility
SCHOOL PROFILE AND HISTORY
Horizon Academy at Marion Oaks opened its doors to fourth and fifth graders on January 3, 2008. Sixth, seventh and eighth graders will arrive on August 18, 2008.
The new $37 million facility, under construction since October 2006, features 57 academic classrooms in three two-story buildings. Using a learning "community" concept, students will also take advantage of a new cafeteria, gymnasium, music suite, and media center. Administrative offices at the front and center of campus round out the 180,000-square-foot facility.
Horizon Academy at Marion Oaks, located at 365 Marion Oaks Drive south of Ocala, is the first school in Marion County built with half-cent sales tax dollars. Voters approved the measure in 2004, and it's expected to raise $113 million for new local school construction.
SCHOOL COLORS AND MASCOT
Horizon Academy's school colors are black and gold. Our mascot is the Hawk. Go Hawks!