Greenway Media Center
I love Greenway's Library because ...
Book Check Out
- Each student in 1st grade may check out one book for as long as two weeks.
- Each student in 2nd through 5th grade may check out 2 books for as long as two weeks.
- Students may renew a book for an additional two weeks.
- There are no fines for overdue materials.
Gifts are always appreciated. They may be added to the media center collection, given to teachers, or donated to the public library.
- TV Broadcast Studio - Our studio televises live announcements each morning. Student recognition is featured, daily activities, special events and weekend reminders.
- Accelerated Reader - A computerized reading program which allows students to take tests on books and earn rewards as they reach goals. Computers for AR testing are set up in the classrooms.
- Sunshine State Young Readers' Award - Each year Florida chooses 15 books to be on the Sunshine State list. This program is open to all third through fifth grade students. Students must read 3 books from the list to be qualified to vote for the book they like best. To earn more prizes, students read more Sunshine Books.
- Book Fair - Greenway hosts yearly Scholastic book fairs. They provide the opportunity for students to purchase books that they can keep.
The mission of the Greenway Media program is to ensure that the students and staff are effective users of ideas and information. This is accomplished by providing intellectual and physical access to materials in all formats; by providing instruction to foster competence and stimulate interest in reading, viewing, and using information and ideas; and by working with other educators to design learning strategies to meet the needs of individual students.
Accelerated Reader Program
The Accelerated Reader (AR) Program provides teachers and children a fun and exciting way to promote reading at home and in the classroom. The kids love to watch their progress and teachers often involve the students in setting AR point goals for the year.
To view a complete list of which books have AR quizzes, go to AR BookFinder Program. If you would like to see which books we have in our school library, go to Destiny, our online card catalog, and click on our school.
Morning News Show
Our morning news show will air each morning at 7:50 a.m.
The purpose of our show is to let the school know about daily and future happenings and schedules. If your class is doing something special, let Mr. Wilson know, and he will try to feature your class on the show!
Sunshine State Young Readers' Award
The Sunshine State Young Readers' Award program presents a selection of fifteen books chosen each year by a committee of Florida librarians. They are chosen for their quality and appeal, and represent some of the best in children's literature today. Students in grades 3 through 5 are encouraged to read at least three of the books, so they can vote for their favorite. Every year, the author of the book with the most statewide votes is presented with the Sunshine State Young Readers' Award. Click the link below for more information.
FRA Children's Book Award
The FRA Children's Book Award is a program sponsored by the Florida Reading Association and is for students in Pre-K through second grade. Students read or have read to them eight quality books, and then vote on their favorite book. The votes are tallied at the state level, and the author of the winning book receives recognition.
Students in Pre-K, Kindergarten, first grade and second grade have the opportunity to read or listen to recent literature that is considered the best in the state. Students also learn about the importance of voting. Click the link below for more information.
Gregory Wilson: Library Media Specialist