Welcome to Madison Street Academy. You may contact me by email or by phone -- 671-7250.
Mr. Antron Woods, Student Services Manager
Madison Street Academy takes pride in being a school that focuses on character education as well as academics. We focus on the positive behavior rather than the negative. The positive actions of students are rewarded and as a result we have a school that often serves as a model for others to follow.
From time to time it becomes necessary to discipline children for misbehavior. All teachers are responsible for putting in place a classroom management procedure that will enhance the opportunity for learning to take place for all students.
Madison Street Academy firmly believes that appropriateness and moderation in all things, concern for the health and safety of the students, and the avoidance of distractions to the educational process, are the guiding principles of the student dress code. Styles and fads are constantly changing and cannot possibly be covered by specific rules and regulations.
In addition to the Marion County Code of Conduct, the following is to offer clarification regarding expectations at MSA:
- Lycra, nylon, or spandex shorts are not allowed. Skin tight “Leggings” worn under shorts/skirts will be considered skin for the purpose of determining acceptable length.
- Skin tight leggings and/or tights must be covered with an appropriate length outer garment.
- Shorts and skirts will be at least mid-thigh length.
- Flip Flops and slippers are not to be worn to school. All shoes must have a back or strap and/or be deemed appropriate for PE on the days that the student has PE.
Refer to the Dance attire expectations on the Dance website.
LUNCH ROOM CONDUCT
We believe the following guidelines will help:
- Raise your hand if you need something.
- Talk softly to others at your table.
- Absolutely no talking when the lights are off.
- Follow dismissal direction.
- Always obey the lunchroom assistants.
- For health reasons, food may not be shared.
- Students who bring lunch from home are encouraged to bring a nutritious and filling meal. Our cafeteria does not provide candy or carbonated drinks for students and parents are asked not to include these items in their child’s lunchbox.
- Please pay for lunches, extra milk, or juice in the morning before classes begin. No money is accepted in the lunch line.
The following interventions will be used to correct student behavior:
- Verbal correction
- Private conference with student
- Change seat
- Behavior contract
- Parent contact
- Refer to guidance
- Time out
- Conference with Dean
NOTE: Teachers are not limited to nor required to use all steps before writing a discipline referral.
REFERRAL TO DEAN’S OFFICE
A student’s failure to respond to the attempts by the teacher and parents to change or correct misconduct will result in a discipline referral being written and the student sent to the Dean’s office. Madison Street Academy will follow the Marion County Code of Student Conduct when a child is sent to the office for disciplinary reasons.
NO TOLERANCE BEHAVIORS
- Blatant disrespect
- Drugs, weapons, alcohol
- Willful disobedience/defiance