Media Center Library
Media Center Hours | Circulation Policy | Activities
Accelerated Reader Program | Quick Links | MCPS Destiny
Sunshine State Young Readers' Award
The library is open in the mornings for AR quizzing, book checkout, and research at 7:30 for students with parents. Families must remain in the library until the first bell at 7:50. It remains open throughout the school day. We have extended hours for families until 3:00 p.m. on Wednesdays.
= top =
Students in kindergarten may check out one book with their class. All students in grades 1 -5 may check out two books. We also circulate our children’s magazines.
The Sunshine State Young Readers' Award program presents a collection of fifteen books. They are chosen for their quality and appeal, and represent some of the best in children's literature today. Students in grades 3 through 5 are encouraged to read at least three of the books, so they can vote for their favorite. Every year, the author of the book with the most statewide votes is presented with the Sunshine State Young Readers' Award.
The Sunshine State Young Readers' Award Junior has been added this year. The program presents a collection of fifteen books. They are chosen for their quality and appeal, and represent some of the best in children's literature today. Students in grades K through 2 are encouraged to read at least three of the books, so they can vote for their favorite. Every year, the author of the book with the most statewide votes is presented with the Sunshine State Young Readers' Award.
= top =
- Accelerated Reader- Accelerated Reader is a researched based program used to monitor and enhance students’ independent reading. Students are recognized each nine weeks for their successes. The goal for this program is to help students acquire a lifelong love of reading.
- Sunshine State Young Readers' Award- Each year Florida librarians choose 15 books to be on the Sunshine State list. This program is open to all third, fourth, and fifth grade students. Students must read at least three books to qualify to vote in the spring for their favorite book using the county voting machines. Statewide votes are tallied and the winner is chosen.
- Florida Reading Association is a reading lists of eight books for grades K-2 selected by the Florida Reading Association that encourage students to become enthusiastic readers. This collection of literature are some of the many books that we recommend frequently.
- Magazine Fundraiser- funds new books and materials for the library. This is held in January of each school year.
- Ocala Civic Theatre- author study for kindergarten and first grades.
- Library – Staff sponsors the Madison Street Yearbook.
- Book Fairs - MSA hosts two book fairs a year. One held in October to coincide with our Fall Festival and the other in May to encourage summer reading.
= top =
Accelerated Reader Resources/ Renaissance Home Connect improves the school-to-home connection by allowing parents and students to log on to the website and view the student’s reading progress toward their goal.
User Name: student number
Password: 2-digit month and 4 digit year
To log in to Renaissance Home Connect
If you'd like to receive emails showing your student's quiz or test results, click the Email Setup link in Renaissance Home Connect and follow the directions. To be sure these emails reach your inbox, add firstname.lastname@example.org to your address book.
= top =
- Gale Databases
- Florida Electronic Library - portal for students to digital collections about Florida, Gale databases, and live chat with a librarian.
- Ocala Public Library
- Sunshine State Young Readers Program
- Madison Street Library Destiny Catalog
= top =