Welcome to Lake Weir Middle School
GREETINGS FROM LAKE WEIR MIDDLE SCHOOL
Home of the Eagles!
Interesting facts about our school: As of November, 2020
- From the 2016-2017 school year to present, we have improved in our overall school grade percentage points for academic success by 10%!
- We serve approximately 1,150 to 1,200 learners in grades 6-8 in the southeast part of Marion County, Florida, with an attendance area of about 285 square miles.
- Our school colors are royal blue and gold. Our mascot is an Eagle.
- Our school originally opened in 1955 as Lake Weir High School, a consolidation of Weirsdale and Summerfield High Schools. The school served grades 7th through 12th. In 1967, the school changed to serve grades 9th through 12th. In 1975, the new Lake Weir High School was constructed. At that time, the former Lake Weir High School campus became home to what is now Lake Weir Middle School and began serving grades 6th through 8th.
- We are a Title I school, serving a wonderfully diverse population of learners, consisting of:
- 48% Caucasian • 21% Hispanic • 20% African American • 9% Multi-racial • 1.5% Asian • .5% American Indian
- 20% of our hard working learners receive Exceptional Student Education services and up to 10% of our dedicated learners have a history of or currently receive English Language services
- 85% of our outstanding learner population is classified as economically disadvantaged
- We serve learners of all abilities; from those with special needs to our DRIVE and Advanced Academic Academies. We provide the opportunity to earn High School credits in the areas of English Honors I, Algebra Honors I, Geometry Honors, Physical Science Honors, Information Technology, Spanish I, and Agriculture Science. We also offer enrichment courses, including Acting, Agriculture, Art, Band, Computer Sciences, Construction Trades, Culinary Arts, Health Occupations, Logistics, Beginning Spanish, TV Production, and Journalism courses.
- We have several club offerings, to include Fitness and Nutrition in Schools (FANS), Future Farmers of America (FFA), Future Health Professionals (HOSA), National Junior Honor Society (NJHS), Students Against Violence Everywhere (SAVE), Student Government Association (SGA), as well as a Principal Advisory Committee (PAC).
- We have a great school filled with wonderful parents, learners, support staff, and teachers that is well supported by our community and business partners!
Take a look at some of the options available at Lake Weir Middle!
LWM News and Information
Academic Day: 9:30 AM–3:50 PM
Office hours are by appointment only between 8am and 4:30pm