Welcome to the 2015 - 2016 school year here at Ocala Springs. As always, you may contact me by email or by phone -- 671-6360, and I will do my best to help you with any question or concern that you may have.
Kenneth Edmondson, Dean of Student Services
Ocala Springs Elementary School follows the Positive Behavior Support system which is a proactive approach to student discipline. Students are expected to learn and follow the school-wide expectations known as the 4 R’s: Be Responsible, Show Respect, Be Ready, and Always Do What’s Right. If students follow the 4 R’s they are guaranteed to have a successful day. School-wide incentives are offered in recognition of positive behavior. Incentives include: Panther Dollars, Panther Store, Kids with Character, Golden Spatulas, Panther Prowl, and many other classroom incentives. We invite family members and members of the community to become involved in sharing our Positive Behavior Support system. We are looking for many years of success.
LUNCH ROOM CONDUCT
There is no place students reveal their manners or reflect the training they have received at home more conspicuously than in the lunchroom. We urge all students to use the cafeteria as a pleasant place to talk quietly, relax and enjoy their lunch.
We believe the following guidelines will help:
- Raise your hand if you need something.
- Talk softly to others at your table.
- Absolutely no talking when the lights are off.
- Follow dismissal direction.
- Always obey the lunchroom assistants.
- For health reasons, food may not be shared.
- Students who bring lunch from home are encouraged to bring a nutritious and filling meal. Our cafeteria does not provide candy or carbonated drinks for students and parents are asked not to include these items in their child’s lunchbox.
- Please pay for lunches, extra milk, or juice in the morning before classes begin. No money is accepted in the lunch line.
The following interventions will be used to correct student behavior:
- Verbal correction
- Private conference with student
- Change seat
- Behavior contract
- Parent contact
- Refer to guidance
- Time out
- Conference with Dean
NOTE: Teachers are not limited to nor required to use all steps before writing a discipline referral.
REFERRAL TO DEAN’S OFFICE
A student’s failure to respond to the attempts by the teacher and parents to change or correct misconduct will result in a discipline referral being written and the student sent to the Dean’s office. Ocala Springs will follow the Marion County Code of Student Conduct for Elementary Schools when a child is sent to the office for disciplinary reasons.
NO TOLERANCE BEHAVIORS
- Blatant disrespect
- Drugs, weapons, alcohol
- Willful disobedience/defiance